The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
yeah, brass nipple and nut at my shop is ~$7. I asked if Western makes a stainless version. He told me the nipple is $28... I said "alright take care!"

Funny thing is, I have a SS cga540 that came on a regulator, and I can't even get $10 for it on ebay. Ironic how if it was a 320, it would be 4X as valuable.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
My co2 rig would look much better if it had a SS connection to the cylinder but I was in a pinch.

Another run in I had with SS v, in this case Au was when I had to replace some hearing duct from my hot water heater in my old house for it to suffice building code when we sold it. I believe that the SS ducting would have cost ~$150 to do what I needed where the Au dicting I believe set me back $20!

Yes SS is beautiful and on this rig worth it but it often boils down to how fast we need it and how padded our check book is at the moment of purchase! :)

Beautiful set up!!!

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
As much as this thread has wandered off-topic, I can't help but add to it. A cheap alternative to SS is nickel-plating stuff yourself. Nickel-plated brass is certainly not SS, but if looks are what you're after...

I have a used SS reg coming in, and I'm going to try my hand at nickel plating some fittings and seeing how it comes out.

And, by the way, that regulator is fantastic!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
As much as this thread has wandered off-topic, I can't help but add to it. A cheap alternative to SS is nickel-plating stuff yourself. Nickel-plated brass is certainly not SS, but if looks are what you're after...

I have a used SS reg coming in, and I'm going to try my hand at nickel plating some fittings and seeing how it comes out.

And, by the way, that regulator is fantastic!

I take complete responsibility for where this thread has gone.

Please, please post a thread in the DIY section showing how you plan to plate your regulator with nickel yourself. That would be very interesting!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Actually, Au is the periodic symbol for gold, which is why I asked. What did you mean by Au ducting? Did you mean Al (aluminum)?
Yep, I was sending the message from my ipone and I guess the spell check give Gold (Au) precedence over Aluminum (Al)! Thats funny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.