The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i hear low phosphate can be one of the causes for green spot algae. Along with nerite snails, I want to combat this with a fish food, particularly flake, that is actually has high phosphate. Does anyone know fish food that I can experiment with?

Around the 11:11 mark there is talks of low phosphate and green spot algae.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It is an interesting proposition, however I personally would not try to focus fish food on fertilizer if I am trying to 'balanced my tank and achieve great plant growth.

You best bet is to focus on a healthy and balanced diet for you fish. Then, focus in on a good maintenance routine for your tank, including water changes, filter cleaning, and substrate vacuuming. Finally, if all this is done consistently, you will be able to focus on fertilization. Here is where I would tweak different ferts and see the effect. But know, that light, CO2. And good maintenance are key, and that fertilization is not the number one thing to focus in on in my opinion.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Your main source of hair algae is phosphate. An that comes from fish food. Proven fact really. Always good to keep phosphates really low. I use phosphate removing compound in my filters and change it once a month. Never have nuance algae and always have great plant growth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.