The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again!

I know I'm on here a lot, sorry. Anyway.

I added three angelfish to my angel tank Saturday, two white marbles (if that's a thing) and a really pretty veil. At first my established trio were complete a******s to them, so I separated them into two buckets and 100% rearranged the tank; added new decor, removed some stuff, added new plants. Nothing is in the same spot. By Monday, there were no problems at all. By Tuesday, they were all swimming together. Today, the white ones were eating alongside the black ones like there had never been any issue.

However, my veil is raising some concerns. Obviously I'm not glued to the tank 24/7 so I can't say he absolutely does not eat. But during active feeding, when flakes or brine shrimp are slowly sinking, he seems to have a yearning interest but never chases after the food. At first I thought maybe he's just got a small mouth since he's considerably smaller than even the white ones (he's like 85% fin), but he doesn't even take the crumbs.

I'm nearly legally blind without my glasses and even if I wear them I can't see from a comfortable hidden distance to see if he's just being shy. He doesn't swim up to the top like the other 5 when I approach, he doesn't run away, he just stays there hidden in the cabomba/bacopa forest.

He was pretty mercilessly picked on by my established trio, and I've heard veils are pretty delicate (no injuries). He still finches back if he's even approached by one of the bigger angels, especI ally coneeding food. Is he just taking longer to get over getting bullied?

If this helps, my parameters are pH is between 7.0 and 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 15, temp is 77°F.

I don't know if I'm just being a worrywort or if somethings actually wrong. I'm not medicating any more than normal (always half-dose ParaGuard for a week when I add new fish), but any suggestions or slaps on the back of the head would be appreciate.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
That is not healthy angel activity. You don't maybe have smaller quarantine tank for it, just to see if maybe it is the influence of one/some of the other fish? Try to rub some garlic on your flakes and leave it in the sun to dry out.
Just a little garlic in the water greatly increases appetite.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have garlic in my gel food. I haven't put any in the tank since I got these three, should I give them some and see if it goes for that?

I'd hate to see this little one waste away, he's really a beautiful fish. I have a 10g (with a questionable heater) that has a school of 12 growing minnows and a few baby crayfish, would it be okay with them?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You just want to see if you can get him eating again. Hopefully he takes the gel food.
I had a similar case, although the fish didn't waste away the larger angels noticed his weakness, and that is pretty much a death sentence.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will give him some food and see if I can get him to eat. If not, I'll get him acclimated to the water of the 10 and see if he'll eat there. If so, I guess I'll help him get his strength in the 10 and then attempt to reintroduce him.

Would they remember him or would they be typical angels?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I put him in the breeder, gave him a little piece of gel food, and sprinkled some small-ground flake food on the water to see if just security and isolation was what he needed.

Checked on him about an hour ago. He hasn't touched a thing, but his poop was half normal looking and half milky white.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I think you need to move it over to a quarantine tank. Have you dewormed your fish since you got it. It may be an infection too.
I would keep medicinal doses to half of normal as this fish is already weakened. I would try an epsom bath 1 tsp in 1 gallon for 10 minutes then back to his hospital tank with some methylene blue, It absorbs pretty well systemically.
I do suspect the fish will need a round of antibiotics.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will this treatment be safe for the minnows I have in the tank, or should I put them in the angel tank and have the quarantine be just for him?

The minnows were intended for the angel tank anyway I was just hoping to introduce them to it when they were larger and less snack-sized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.