The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys feed your shrimp? I was thinking of buying Ken's Premium Veggie sticks with calcium. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
my shrimp went nuts for it. i ordered and prob will again. lots of food can be fed to shrimp. lots here use fresh organic veggies like spinach, cucumber, and zucchini as well

·
Registered
703 Posts
I pretty much feed organic kale as a staple. I bought a $3 bunch when i moved here in september, blanched then froze it. Probably have 90% of it left. Besides that i feed blood worms once a week to my royal\oebts, every other week to my tb/crystal tank. Only on my second cube since september. Once and a while i will feed commercial foods, shirakura has always been their favorite, although just got some lowkey samples from duke and they seem to like them all.
This is my tb/crystal tank after the kale was in for about 30 seconds. I think every shrimp was on it with in 2 minutes. 6 hours later and it is still getting mauled.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How stable is kale in water current? Does it stay fairly put or blast all over? Does it sink easily after blanching?

I'd like to give this a shot but have decent flow in most of my tanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I pretty much feed organic kale as a staple. I bought a $3 bunch when i moved here in september, blanched then froze it. Probably have 90% of it left. Besides that i feed blood worms once a week to my royal\oebts, every other week to my tb/crystal tank. Only on my second cube since september. Once and a while i will feed commercial foods, shirakura has always been their favorite, although just got some lowkey samples from duke and they seem to like them all.
This is my tb/crystal tank after the kale was in for about 30 seconds. I think every shrimp was on it with in 2 minutes. 6 hours later and it is still getting mauled.
How do you get your spinach to sink? I cut it into small pieces and it still refuses to sink.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Never thought of making my own food. So you boil it and then save the rest in the freezer? do you chop it up? And do you just unfreeze it after and feed them a portion at a time?

·
Registered
94 Posts
boil it for long enough and it should sink, shrimps LOVE kale
Thanks! Will 5 min be good enough? I was afraid that if I boil it too long, it might lose its nutrition. I should try kale next time, can kale be the staple food for shrimp?

·
Registered
703 Posts
i only boil it for like a minute. It's easy to break small chunks off once frozen. i just stick it in still frozen, it will sink after like 30 seconds but i just stick a plant sinker through it so it sinks immediately and stays in place.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I started a 10g guppy tank with 6 Guppies and a single Ghost shrimp. When he was in his own 1g cube, I would give him a single flake every day but now that he is in the guppy tank, I'm having a hard time feeding him. What do you guys suggest?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts