The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up two of these little(less than an inch long) guys for my 10G. I have some algae, not a lot, but also some brown diatoms on the plants and stuff. I am going to run my lights for an extra hour a day to help with that. I got myself a seaweed clip and put some blanched zucchini in it and they LOVE IT. It’s crazy how much they ate. I was going to make sure to always have something in there for them so they don’t starve. As long as I switch out the zucchinni every day would that be okay? I put some romaine in too but they didn’t touch it. Any other veggies that I could try to give them a variety? I really like these little guys😀

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I would leave the zucchini in for the day and remove it before lights out. I don't like leaving anything that's going to break down in my tank overnight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds good. So you think every day if I can to make sure they have something to graze on? Or every other day? I don’t care so much about them eating algae because I don’t really have an algae problem. I have more of the brown diatoms, which I can’t seem to get rid of. They aren’t too bad, but I heard the otto’s will eat that too

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you feed them all the time, they’ll not eat the brown diatoms. Maybe only half of one or every other day so that they are forced to look for food. Just watch that their little bellies have a slight roundness to them. At the store, they’re usually malnourished and have flat bellies. Ottos can get to a point where they just stop eating and die so you don’t want them to get to that point. If you want variety, I seem to have success with Hikari Algae Wafers. It took them a few tries to find and love them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you feed them all the time, they’ll not eat the brown diatoms. Maybe only half of one or every other day so that they are forced to look for food. Just watch that their little bellies have a slight roundness to them. At the store, they’re usually malnourished and have flat bellies. Ottos can get to a point where they just stop eating and die so you don’t want them to get to that point. If you want variety, I seem to have success with Hikari Algae Wafers. It took them a few tries to find and love them.
I second Hikari Algae Wafers. My ottos have lived on them for 2 years so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts