The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ^^, recently I'm setting a new 20 gallon aquascape tank and my plan of tank inhabitants is like that: 10 harlequin rasbora, 2 bristlenose pleco a couple of snails (ramshorn, trapdoor) and 10 cherry shrimp. First of all do you think that it is overstocked? Second is I don't know how much food should I feed them, I'm planning to feed them twice a day and my food are: sera granugreen, new life spectrum small fish formula, ocean nutrition color growth & health formula, omega one immune pro, some betta granules from my old tank, and omega one wafers for my plecos, plus frozen-gell food. So lots of variety and all of them are granules, I don't like using flakes. So can you give me like you have to give them 15-20 granules etc. kind of answer? I know it really depends but I would appreciate a guideline better than 1-2 minutes rule. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
So first off, in a 20 your getting a little close there with 2 BN plecos, when they're grown. If you end up with two males especially you may have an issue. If you have one of each you should be find. stocking-wise, you're pretty good. at the top end but should be fine. Just do your changes.

Pretty much just make sure that those rasbora are getting enough as they will likely only feed from the water column. The shrimp and plecos will pick up the rest. They will take a little while but they will clean up anything by morning so don't feed them more if they aren't eating right away but after a couple weeks even the plecos will know when feeding times are.

In my experience if your plecos mess with your live plants they are still hungry. If they are getting enough they shouldn't uproot anything that has been established. They may up root new plants but that's just cause they haven't rooted themselves yet.

Anyway, if you want the tiny granules thing... I'd say like 20-30, a couple per creature and algae wafers. That's if I am thinking what you are thinking when you say granules.

But go off your fish more than anything, and with two feedings a day you should be okay. Main thing will be the fish that feed in the column, you may find you want to get at least some flaked food. I use the Tetra Pro stuff. They are flakes, but like wafer flakes and I just crush them in my hand. They float and do sink to the bottom and don't create as much of a mess as the normal goldfish flakes. But they don't sink as fast as pellets. Luckily shrimp and plecos have good appetites and will clean up anything that's left in my opinion.

Sounds like a good tank, Good Luck! Have Fun!

PS. if you can, start with just the shrimp, let them get established first. But should be okay if you don't as long as the plecos are young as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So first off, in a 20 your getting a little close there with 2 BN plecos, when they're grown. If you end up with two males especially you may have an issue. If you have one of each you should be find. stocking-wise, you're pretty good. at the top end but should be fine. Just do your changes.

Pretty much just make sure that those rasbora are getting enough as they will likely only feed from the water column. The shrimp and plecos will pick up the rest. They will take a little while but they will clean up anything by morning so don't feed them more if they aren't eating right away but after a couple weeks even the plecos will know when feeding times are.

In my experience if your plecos mess with your live plants they are still hungry. If they are getting enough they shouldn't uproot anything that has been established. They may up root new plants but that's just cause they haven't rooted themselves yet.

Anyway, if you want the tiny granules thing... I'd say like 20-30, a couple per creature and algae wafers. That's if I am thinking what you are thinking when you say granules.

But go off your fish more than anything, and with two feedings a day you should be okay. Main thing will be the fish that feed in the column, you may find you want to get at least some flaked food. I use the Tetra Pro stuff. They are flakes, but like wafer flakes and I just crush them in my hand. They float and do sink to the bottom and don't create as much of a mess as the normal goldfish flakes. But they don't sink as fast as pellets. Luckily shrimp and plecos have good appetites and will clean up anything that's left in my opinion.

Thank you I'll only get 1 pleco then and yeah I meant that tiny ball like pellets 😁, so pellet food sink fast and you recommend flakes, then I'll try tetramin flakes as well.

PS. if you can, start with just the shrimp, let them get established first. But should be okay if you don't as long as the plecos are young as well.
And is it 20-30 granules per feed or per day like I will feed twice so is it 40-60 per day?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
And is it 20-30 granules per feed or per day like I will feed twice so is it 40-60 per day?
yeah, if the rasboras get 1-2 each feeding they should be fine. they will go for them more if they're really hungry(Another reason to feed off the fish than a recipe so to speak). You will probably want to drop them in and with 10 second interval kind of things so they are not all in the water column at once. if all the pellets are in there at once they will miss a majority of them.

The shrimp will grab anything pellet; any size or type in my experience. They aren't as fond of the algae wafers, but the pleco will suck those up. My common pleco, when younger, would basically suck on one until either he finished it or he floated all the way up to the surface which would spook him and he'd go back down. My 2 BN plecos don't do this but they know when it's feeding time and come running for the wafers.

again, just keep an eye on them during feedings and for a couple minutes after to see what the bottom feeders do. You'll learn a lot about your new little friends during feeding time.

yeah, if the rasboras get 1-2 each feeding they should be fine. they will go for them more if they're really hungry(Another reason to feed off the fish than a recipe so to speak). You will probably want to drop them in and with 10 second interval kind of things so they are not all in the water column at once. if all the pellets are in there at once they will miss a majority of them.

The shrimp will grab anything pellet; any size or type in my experience. They aren't as fond of the algae wafers, but the pleco will suck those up. My common pleco, when younger, would basically suck on one until either he finished it or he floated all the way up to the surface which would spook him and he'd go back down. My 2 BN plecos don't do this but they know when it's feeding time and come running for the wafers.

again, just keep an eye on them during feedings and for a couple minutes after to see what the bottom feeders do. You'll learn a lot about your new little friends during feeding time.
another thing, if the rasboras don't go for them, or they seem big, crush them up a little with a mortal and pestle or just a card or glass cup. doesn't have to powder but crushing them helps, I do this for my Threadfin Rainbows who have tiny throats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.