The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm familiar with the old school plastic baskets and degradable foam or whatever most pet stores pack their plants in but I just bought a plant that appears to have more of a different form of foam wrap around the root and a metal weight wrapped around that. I assume I need to remove it but am I better off leaving it on? I can't tell if it will smother the plants roots or if it will benefit helping it stay together and anchored? Educate me on this new form of bundling these plants and what I need to do.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Remove both the metal band and the foam packing and discard them and plant as normal. I've seen this type of protection before but can't remember where. My guess is the higher position of the foam is also to prevent the plant stems from breaking during shipment.

·
Registered
782 Posts
That appears to be a java fern in the bundle weight there, so either tie or glue it to something like a very small stone to weigh it down. You don't want to plant the rhizome or it will eventually die, but if desired you can bury the small stone up to the level of the rhizome so that the plant sits level with the substrate and the rock is hidden.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove both the metal band and the foam packing and discard them and plant as normal. I've seen this type of protection before but can't remember where. My guess is the higher position of the foam is also to prevent the plant stems from breaking during shipment.
Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That appears to be a java fern in the bundle weight there, so either tie or glue it to something like a very small stone to weigh it down. You don't want to plant the rhizome or it will eventually die, but if desired you can bury the small stone up to the level of the rhizome so that the plant sits level with the substrate and the rock is hidden.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Potted plants are usually in rock wool and a plastic pot, like you're describing. If the plant wasn't potted, than the seller will pull the stems, wrap them in foam, and weigh them down with led for storage while awaiting sale. Just take the foam and lead off, and plant in your aquarium.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Potted plants are usually in rock wool and a plastic pot, like you're describing. If the plant wasn't potted, than the seller will pull the stems, wrap them in foam, and weigh them down with led for storage while awaiting sale. Just take the foam and lead off, and plant in your aquarium.
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts