The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently got some advise to put some foam insulation under my tank before setting it up.
What is the purpose of this?
-keeping the substrate at steady temps?
-Balance?

·
Registered
862 Posts
normally it is used to absorb irregularities on the surface you are setting the tank on. The theory is that the foam will allow even distribution of the weight of the tank over the entire bottom of the tank. If a tank is set on an uneven surface it could possibly concentrat more weight to a particular area and cause leaks or breaks in the glass
I don't use it personally but I might on a large tank

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have only heard the foam should be used on acrylic or flat-bottom tanks; not the framed tanks like AGA-brand. The reason was already mentioned above, to "absorb" irregularities in the acrylic/glass and provide support to the entire weight of the tank, much like the frame does on an AGA tank.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
766 Posts
Three purposes come to my mind:
1. Insulating the substrate (which probably isn't very important, but hey, can't hurt)
2. Correcting small irregularities in the stand
3. Absorbing energy from motion (probably more important if you live in California).

I started doing this when I set up my 120. Considering the low cost (I paid $10 for a 4 x 8 sheet at Lowes), it's probably a good extra measure to take. I'll do it with my next tank too.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Can anyone think of a thinner better looking version than baby blue or fibreglass pink? I'm setting up a frameless tank on a flat stand and the edge will be exposed. I'm thinking about trying those mats that keep carpets from moving they're thin but would have some of the same effect.

They're like these:

Also, I think a real cheap yoga matt may work...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I put my insulation sheets on the floor beneath the stand--rough slate floor, kinda helped level things out (stuffed thin strips of slate along the edge to hide the pink). I think a yoga mat would be adequate, unless it's a DIY stand and you have DIY skills like mine. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought a roll of thin cork at one of those big box office supply stores. It's a lot better looking than that nonslip stuff.
How much did you pay for the cork?

I have a good amount of 1/8" cork sheet from a 4' wide roll left over after renovation, enough for more than a dozen tanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts