The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have a 46 planted tank. CO2 injected and I supply ferts almost everyday. I also change +50% water every week.
So gar no algae
however the water is been getting a sheen on the surface very ugly and a lot of foam. this happens even overnight after a water change.
it is also happening even before i started adding ferts consistently as I am doing now.
Water parameters shows 0 Nitrite, Ammonia or Nitrate. pH is normal, around 7.8
I make sure to not insert my hands if I have touched anything with grease
So is it possible that the CO2 injected can have some sort of dissolved grease, hydrocarbon or something that is been causing this? I can not find the source for this.
I use 2 filters, One was cleaned a week ago, the other about 2 month ago.
here some picture including one with the whole tank

Attachments

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This is normal it's a protein film. I have it on my tank too. I'm skimming it off periodically. I'm looking into getting a protein skimmer. I use to not have this issue not sure what has changed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , exactly like that . I never had that issue in 5-6 years using the tank. Suddenly I have it. I am doing now 70% water change . it has slowed down but showing after 5-7 days
Can someone in this forum put some knowledge to explain this?
thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Excess organics. I had that problem in all 4 of my tanks, however the 3 that now house neocaridina shrimp it has all disappeared. I dont know if its because the shrimp are cleaning up the extra food/plant matter, or the occasional Bacter AE I give them works on it in some way.

I was also feeding multiple times a day due to fry, but now that batch has grown out and boys and girls are now separated, back to feeding once a day.

Probably both components helped resolve it for me. Not sure what your feeding plan is but that might be the easiest thing to fiddle first.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yes , exactly like that . I never had that issue in 5-6 years using the tank. Suddenly I have it. I am doing now 70% water change . it has slowed down but showing after 5-7 days
Can someone in this forum put some knowledge to explain this?
thanks
Have you increased your co2 by chance? I recently increased mine and that is when the film for me started. I reduced mine to a green drop checker from light green/ yellow and the film went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.