The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In January I plan to visit Los Angeles and want to take advantage of the trip by buying plants and probably a few fish. I have no problem with putting plants in checked luggage but do not want to trust fish to that process! Has anyone tried taking fish in their carry-on bags recently?

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I went to visit a friend in northern California I bought some rare pencilfish and I was told that I could not bring them on the plane. I had to have my friend ship them to me. Not much of a savings if you have to pay for shipping.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
you can't travel with more than 4oz of liquid in a carry on bag... save yourself the hassle... they don't care if you have fish in the bags

F

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I have traveled with fish in my checked bags several times with no trouble at all. You just have to pack them up right and hope the airline won't lose your luggage.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I have traveled with fish in my checked bags several times with no trouble at all. You just have to pack them up right and hope the airline won't lose your luggage.
Wouldn't they get tumbled around? When i'm waiting in the airport, i see baggage handlers through the window throwing the luggage into the plane, with out even really caring what's inside.

I'm also planning on visiting california (San Francisco) to get some discus from Kenny Chung. It would be a ton easier to be able to fly with them, instead of driving (at least a 2 day drive). I'm going to look in to this more.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
They get tossed around plenty too when sent through the post. Hardy fish can make it alright so long as they are bagged up correctly. For sensitive animals such as shrimp it can be useful to bag into breather bags. Since the breather bag doesn't have any air space inside the contents are jostled considerably less and the occupants are cushioned by the surrounding water.

When securing everything in your luggage it is a good idea to line the cooler holding the fish bags with a trash bag, then close it up around the fish. If one bag fails and the airline baggage handlers see the suitcase it leaking water, they will probably pull it and and not put it on the next flight.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
fish getting tussled around in transport WILL NOT KILL THEM... trust me, i use a trans shipper for nearly all my fish at the shop... the issue is time in the bag and temperature... try to get the medical grade styro box with the top that fits on snuggly and heat pack that baby...

F

1 - 7 of 7 Posts