The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed one of the members with a nametag of FSM. His picture made me laugh so i looked it up on google. There are hundreds of pictures of this so called monster, and I was just wondering where it all came from. :icon_mrgr

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I think it came from a satirical letter written to the board of education in one of those backwoods towns that wanted to include religion in science class, alongside evolution. So, the author wrote a letter, indicating that they worshipped the flying spaghetti monster, and wanted to have it included also.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

May he touch you with his noodly appendages. :lol:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
There are several members with FSM pictures in their sig/ avatar. It's basically a "religion" that mocks actual religions, IMO. That's what I got from it when I wrote a paper on it, but that's just my personal opinion.
Oh, it's definitely mocking. And hilarious. And it not unexpectedly upsets some people.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
There are several members with FSM pictures in their sig/ avatar. It's basically a "religion" that mocks actual religions, IMO. That's what I got from it when I wrote a paper on it, but that's just my personal opinion.
It doesn't mock other religions, it was written as satire of "Intelligent Design" when the Kansas school board ruled that it had to be taught alongside Evolution.

http://www.venganza.org/

·
Registered
115 Posts
"Actual Religions" what an interesting term.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I am aware of that.
I'd call it mocking simply by it's definition.
It's just an opinion.
Religion is always a bad thing to discuss on public forums.
Intelligent design =/= a religion. IMO describing Pastafarianism as "mocking 'real' religion" is either pretty naive, pessimistic, or straight up insulting. Or all three.

but w/e, I think this thread needs to be dropped since we've already dissolved into narrow-minded arguments.

·
Banned
4,255 Posts
whatever you're trying to state should not be discussed. religion is a sensitive topic, and while i personally do not have a religion, i do think that pastafarianism is mocking real religions. evolution and intelligent design also seem to be a sensitive topic when it mixes with religion, so maybe opinions on both topics should be kept to one's self.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Guys!!! This is not acceptable. Whereas we respect everyone's religious and political views (or lack there of), we do not condone the discussion of them here. There is a reason for this: feelings get hurt, people get angry and we loose great people over debates that quite honestly will never be agreed upon. A hundred years from now, people will still be talking religion and politics. If you want to discuss them, take it off the forum.

Furthermore: there are people on this forum you may not like. They may have even said something to provoke you. However, it is never okay to treat them with disrespect on this forum. Debate is fine. Personal attacks are NOT. You all bring a lot of life and pleasant discussions about planted tanks and other topics to this forum.

However, bullying will NOT be tolerated by even the most veteran member. I am not above it, either. Please, if someone is being out of line, report it privately. Let us moderate for you. IF you are being a bully, remember it is a privilege to be here, not a right! If you are unclear about our forum rules, click here.

Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.