The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my first attempt at a planted tank journal. Should have taken more pictures from the beginning but here we go...

Tank- Basic 5.5 gallon derimmed
Top- Acrylic taken out of picture frame and cut to shape
Light- Clip desk light with a 15 watt CFL 6500K bulb
Filter- Tom mini internal filter
Heater- Tetra 15 watt heater
Stand- Espresso storage cabinet from Bed Bath and Beyond
Substrate- Bottom layer of black eco-complete mixed with active-flora, topped with black eco
Flora- java moss, subwassertang, echinadorus vesuvius, crypt wendtii, crypt parva, anubias nana petite, anubias nana golden, java fern, java fern narrow leaf
Fauna- 7 unsexed juvie red endlers
Inverts- About 30 cherry red shrimp

This is what it looked like after I took the Rim off before I set it up

Will get some more pictures when I get back in town. Originally had a 20 watt light but started getting algae so nixed that fast. Tank is finally all cycled after a good month of running. Plants are taking and growing well and the shrimp are getting redder and berried.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly all 6 tigers have died :( . Clearly something was wrong with the water parameters. Thinking it might have been too warm. Heater kept it at 78 +-2, since then I keep it at 75 with new heater

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh. None of my tanks besides discus have heaters but I keep it warm in here. Just a though. Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sadly all 6 tigers have died :( . Clearly something was wrong with the water parameters. Thinking it might have been too warm. Heater kept it at 78 +-2, since then I keep it at 75 with new heater
besides the temperature, what's your pH? cherries aren't very picky, but i know tigers like softer water with a lower pH.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice tank, and too bad about those shrimp. They looked amazing. were those the regular tigers or super?
They were regular tigers from mordalphus, looked awesome for a week while they survived.

besides the temperature, what's your pH? cherries aren't very picky, but i know tigers like softer water with a lower pH.
To be honest, I haven't checked in a while. This is my no maintenance tank other than a partial water change every couple of weeks. If i remember right it was around 7.4 or 7.6 last I checked

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Time for a quick update. The endlers are maturing quite nicely. Have one really pretty red male and added a tiger endler I bought. The female is odd and has some reddish/yellow coloration in her tail. She also had her first two babies a few days ago! Need to get some updated plant and whole tank pics. Might try tigers again after I move here in a few weeks.
Here is the male red one, tiger male, male and female, and a crappy pic of the two males together

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Really nice I was wondering how safe "derimming" is? Any thoughts

I have had no issues what so ever after derimming it. I let it sit for about 4 days with water afterwards just to be safe. If you are worried you can always leave the bottom rim on for more support. I have seen people de-rim tanks all the way to 75 and not have an issue. I don't think they recommend much more than 20 gallons or so though to be safe. Give it a shot. The silicone is a pain to remove but looks nice after

1 - 18 of 18 Posts