The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am making a 30 gallon planted aquarium with some medium (and a few easy)diificulty plants ( tropica's rating). There will be proper fertilization and co2.
its 40 cm tall and i want to put 2 discus.
which is the best light fixture to perfectly grow my plants and also bring out the beautiful colour of the fish?
any experience/reccomendations?

thnx for your time!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can speak for the Finnex Ray 2. I have the 48" version on my 55g tank and I've had no problem growing any plant. I think it's one of the most popular medium-high PAR, LED lights on the market today

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx for the reply.
in my current setup in the 30 gallon with medium plants im running 2 spotlights 30watt 6500k each. the ray 2 will give the same brightness and plant growth or better?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not sure exactly, maybe someone with more experience can give you a better answer. I think it depends on how your light is set up right now, are you using some kind of reflector to focus the light?

PAR is the best measurement of lighting intensity for planted tanks. I'm not sure how much PAR you would get with your two bulbs but here's a good post on different PAR readings:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ts.html#/forumsite/20495/topics/184368?page=1

Low light: 0-30 PAR
Medium light: 30-80
High light: 80+

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
which is the best light fixture to perfectly grow my plants and also bring out the beautiful colour of the fish?
any experience/recommendations?

thnx for your time!!!!
fluval aquasky and 24/7 are in one class.. i.e color/spectrum adjustable lights..24/7 having a timed cycle.. Fluval, to be honest, has a lot of adjustments but haven't found a timed on/off cycle.
Leads me to, until furter notice, somewhat reject either if you want both a scheduled light and full (or adequate control) of said cycle.
That leads to the Current planted plus PRO..

RayII is a single trick pony.. A good pony but that is about it.. 700k diodes w/ a shortage of red.. BUT 90 degree optics and high PAR..
In other words "bright"..

Many find the RayII washes out some color.. So many supplemented it w/ another LED fixture w/ red diodes..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts