The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I recently picked up a 40 gal off craigslist from a reefer. At first I gave it a lot of thought wether I should or shouldn't buy it. I decided not to since I was feeling symptoms of MTS (multi tank syndrome). But he knocked out $50 off the price, threw in some filters, and delivered. Of course I couldn't resist so I bought it for $150.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here it is guys! This one is gonna be my display piece. I will spare no expenses to make this tank my pride and joy lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I started putting everything together to perform a fill test

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Filter is a fluval 305 although im most likely going to upgrade and use this filter on one of my other tanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Dam petsmart with their clearance sales haha I couldnt resist picked up this fluval c4 for $25 out the door.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The tank is clean and ready to go. For now I picked up some manzanita branches and have them soaking. I used a couple suction cups and rubber band to hold them down since they float. Now to pick up some substrate!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well guys today I noticed the fluval 305 filter had a hairline crack and when I opened the filter it spread. At this point I can either buy a new filter or spend $60 to replace the motor housing. I might just upgrade filter

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just FYI it's a 46 bow. I have the same tank with an eheim 2215 and a hydor eth 200. Pool filter sand and a coralife t5ho (low end t5) and it does alright

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Really? The guy I bought it from said it was 38 gallons but I rounded up to 40 lol I always suspected it was bigger tho. I just picked up a fluval 405 from another reefer on craigslist, now to clean up all the barnacles off this thing ugghh ..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well after I was done cleaning the filter I noticed the impeller cover is cracked and was silliconed to fit back. Although the filter works this bothers me. Fortunately the parts from the 305 work with the 405 so im good to go but that serves as a lesson to me to always thoroughly inspect anything I buy on craigslist.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I connected the filter and works awesome. At the moment I dont have any media in the filter yet other than some sponges so I will need to order some. Next up I need some lights. Im thinking of x2 36" fugeray leds or should I get the ray2? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it's 36 inches long it's a 46 bow. They make bows with numbers ending in 6. I've heard of 16, 26, 46 and the larger 72 and 92 (I've only heard about a 92 once and it was on the forums )

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I just got word from hagen it is 38.8 gallons. I have the model 180 it says so on the canopy. I really would of wished it was a 46 it sure looks like one especially since I havent had a large tank in a long while lol.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I plugged the c4 in to start getting the filters seeded. The 405 is dead silent although the c4 was so noisy. I dont usually care if they make a little noise I understand but man this one was too noisy I was about to return it but I did some research, apparently this filter is noisy out of the box but after a dab of some vaseline on the impeller shaft this thing is quiet. Filtration is all setup and ready to go fortunately its previous owner had already made some cutouts for a couple hob filters so this one fit perfect.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I picked up an aqueon 1250 gph powerhead to ensure no dead spots and good flow. Also got an aqueon 150w heater. Ignore the actinic bulb im going to either replace that with 10k or perhaps run 2 finnex ray2 leds. Any input guys is appreciated.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I got the substrate delivered today. Petco was having a sale $15 for a 20lb bag of eco complete and free shipping along with 20% coupon and my reward dollars I paid $30 for 4 bags. I wanted aqua soil but that stuff is expensive lol. I've decided for lighting I'm going to get a 36" finnex planted plus and then shortly after add on a monsterRay.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well guys today I stopped by my lfs to pick up a 36" fugeray planted plus but they were completely out. I had traveled at least 30 miles to get there so I wasn't going to leave empty handed so I decided to just get the original fugeray and the manager discounted $20 off the original price since I had called in and assured me the planted + was in stock. For now this light will be OK but I do plan to still add the monsterRay in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts