The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a fluval v spec 5 gallon tank and bought the eheim 600 compact pump was told it would fit in the pump chamber it however does not fit in any shape or form does anybody have a better pump idea or a way this pump will fit? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Hello I have a fluval v spec 5 gallon tank and bought the eheim 600 compact pump was told it would fit in the pump chamber it however does not fit in any shape or form does anybody have a better pump idea or a way this pump will fit? Thanks.
I am assuming your fluval pump gave out and you are looking for a replacement? Just buy direct from fluval

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fluval pump is loud and has a pretty high flow rate even on low for my betta I was just trying to put the eheim in the proper way with the suction cups down as it's supposed to go but front to back in the chamber is not wide enough.

·
Super Moderator
16,975 Posts
If your pump is loud, Fluval will likely replace it for free. That's if you can't clean it or reposition it to make it quieter.

I've had two Fluval Spec pumps running in my bedroom for a couple years and have never heard them.

Most people who keep a Betta in their Spec just use a piece of foam to cover the outflow. That really dampens things and makes the tank much more suitable. Have you tried that?

·
Super Moderator
16,975 Posts
Glad to hear it. Just remember to squeeze it out every week or so to make sure there's no build-up of anything.

Some people get really creative with it and end up buying nice foam that they trim down with Dremel kits or knives. But I usually just cut an opening in a chunk of whatever black foam I've got and put that over the outflow.

Others go so far as to remove the outflow entirely and place it in the pump chamber with a bit of window screen material over the opening. Takes some tweaking but it really slows the flow in and out of the tank itself. That appears to be what Fluval is doing with their Betta-specific tank. It's just a modified Spec III with a weaker LED and dampened flow. I think the Spec V is a much better option for a Betta and what you've done with the foam will give you way more flexibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.