The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval U4 internal filter

12256 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  AlecFish
How well does the U4 work as an internal filter?

It would be an additional filter for me, sorta like a powerhead per say. Since I'll have a Fluval 406 it might not be enough flow around the whole tank.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It'll be in a 75 gallon planted tank. I don't have it set up yet but this would just be an additional filter. I'm ordering the newly released fluval 406 as my main filter.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, yeah but all the powerheads I've tried are extremely loud. I've tried the maxi-jet's, koralia and a petsmart brand and you can hear them really easy out of the tank, like a buzzing noise. Not the greatest thing when you trying to sleep.

I'll only get one of these if the 406 isn't as giving a flow though the whole tank.Which it most might not I'll get this or some koralia powerhead.

But with the powerhead I won't have any filtration it'll just be blowing things around...

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the video daffyfish. It looks like the only downfall to this as mentioned above is its bulkiness. I probably could hide it easily with such a large tank with some tall plants and I should be good.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, no I didn't actually buy it. Instead I'm using a Fluval 406 and a Koralia nano 240 gph. The look of the u4's look in-tank didn't fit for me in a planted tank.

The flow can be managed since it has an adjustable spray bar and plants getting blown around shouldn't worry you at all. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.