The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a 20 long using the lasagna method from Bentley Pascoe using fluval stratum and eco complete.
I have found it extremely satisfying staring at the fluval stratum. Call me weird, but I like it.
I have never used an aqua soil before, always been sand or dirt capped with sand.
anyone else feel the same way ?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I recently set up a 20 long using the lasagna method from Bentley Pascoe using fluval stratum and eco complete.
I have found it extremely satisfying staring at the fluval stratum. Call me weird, but I like it.
I have never used an aqua soil before, always been sand or dirt capped with sand.
anyone else feel the same way ?
That’s funny. I’ve never heard of layering soil being called the “lasagna method” but why the heck not?! I don’t have any sand or dirt capped soil in my tanks, but I do have UNS aquasoil with some Oliver Knott Soil and then a layer I added a little while back of Fluval Stratum when I wanted to raise the slope in one of my tanks. I like the Stratum because it does not add any NH3 or NH4 to the water column so I didn’t have to worry about any spikes when adding it to a mature tank. I find the stratum a little more tedious to plant in but I don’t mind it.

I think if I had a really large tank and wanted to save money on substrate I would mix and cap my own for sure. But right now my tanks are under 20gallons so I’d probably end up just reusing old substrate with some osmocote if I were to redo my layout.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.