The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading a bit from this forum and Google searches, this is how I would rank the three products above: ADA Aquasoil, Fluval Stratum, and Eco-Complete (from best to worst). Many people probably do no agree with this, but that is my conclusion.

The prices also match up with my conclusion, with the best product having the most expensive price.

On ADGshop, Aquasoil goes for 48 dollars for 21 pounds. That's roughly $2.28 a pound.
On Amazon, Fluval goes for 40 dollars for 16.7 pounds. I believe the 16.7 pounds is a mistake and it should actually be 17.6 pounds, resulting in a price of $2.25 a pound.
On Amazon, Eco-Complete sells for 21 dollars for 20 pounds. That's roughly $1.05 per pound.

I'm leaning more towards Aquasoil, but reading some forum posts, people seem to price a 21 pound bag of Aquasoil at like 60 dollars. This makes me kinda iffy on ADGshop selling legit Aquasoil. Can anyone confirm that they sell legit Aquasoil and if 48 dollars for 21 pounds of it is worth it.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,156 Posts
Hate to rain on the parade but there's really no comparison on any level. Not buffering, not plant nutrition, not durability.

If you can afford Aquasoil, get it.

Buffering: ADA wins that one and it'll last a couple years

Plant nutrition: Fluval Stratum contains next to nothing, so you'll have to use root tabs

Durability: Stratum breaks down much more easily than ADA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hate to rain on the parade but there's really no comparison on any level. Not buffering, not plant nutrition, not durability.

If you can afford Aquasoil, get it.

Buffering: ADA wins that one and it'll last a couple years

Plant nutrition: Fluval Stratum contains next to nothing, so you'll have to use root tabs

Durability: Stratum breaks down much more easily than ADA
So you are saying nothing compares to ADA Aquasoil? I guess I'm sold if that's the case. Going to buy some right now!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm totally new to this. I know only from anecdotal evidence that Aquasoil must be the best. I've started to wonder in terms of nutrition though. The Aquasoil product description is not that much different from the Fluval Strathum. No solid mention of plant nutrition. Power Sand on the other hand does in fact mention nutritional value. Is Power Sand the real value ?

Any thoughts on that ?

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
When I tried a quart container from my lfs It almost disintigrated completely after a replanting or two. Maybe I got a bad sample?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.