The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I've access to a high quality soil test kit, so I used it on crushed up Fluval Stratum yesterday.

Here are the results:

Nitrogen: 30-45 lb/acre. Low-Medium in the soil world.

Phosphorus: 50-70 lb/acre. Low-Medium in the soil world.

Potassium: 80-120 lb/acre. Low in the soil world.

If anyone has anything else they want tested, I could do it for them. I'll be doing vermicompost next, since I have that underneath my Fluval Stratum.

Discuss!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Do you trellis them? Do you prune the elbows?
Yes and No. Everything was fine until mulched last year with leaves and green grass. But it's not just the veggies the entire garden in bad. Flowers go from 24inchs tall (clay) to 4-5inches. The only speices untouched in bulb flowers. I didn't use any poisonious tree leaves so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I know what the problem is. I'll check with my fiancee later, since she is the expert. Trying to grow stuff in plant material that is composting is going to be horrible for plant growth. You need everything to already be composted. When you do a compost bin, the rotting stuff is "hot", literally from bacteria action, and can't be grown in. The stuff at the bottom of the bin is compost, looks like dirt and is good to go. Stick a thermometer into your "mulch" and see what the temperature is... Dig around a little. Does it smell bad?

*** EDIT Checked with her. Other possibilities -- If they were walnut leaves, there is a chemical in walnut leaves that inhibits plant growth. If your lawn was treated with something you could have an issue there with the grass clippings. Otherwise, she agrees that it is because the clippings etc weren't composted yet. Grass especially, if not fully composted, will create pockets of anerobic activity if not fully composted. Also, if the leaves weren't dried you need to add more brown material to compost to get raw carbon into a compost mix. Green provides the nitrogen in compost. You can trust the above, this is what she does for a living ;) Hope it helps!

Yes and No. Everything was fine until mulched last year with leaves and green grass. But it's not just the veggies the entire garden in bad. Flowers go from 24inchs tall (clay) to 4-5inches. The only speices untouched in bulb flowers. I didn't use any poisonious tree leaves so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No idea on iron, not in the kit I used.

Yes, average as far as nutrients go. That said, it is pelletized which is useful for a whole parcel of reasons.

I'm running vermicompost, which is like rocket fuel for plants, underneath the stratum, and so far it is working out great in both low light and high light conditions...

so the resultes just mean that the stratum is average as far as nutrients go?...how about iron content?? thanks for doing this.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Is it possible to correlate those pounds per acre numbers to something understandable for aquariums. Acres are an area measurement, but our substrates are measured in volume, not area. What is the soil depth associated with pounds per acre numbers? With that one could convert pounds per acre to mg per liter, for example.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is what I am hoping: That someone with a good scientific background can maybe do something with these. At worst, if I can get some AS I can run that, and I'll run some regular potting soil, top soil and my vermicompost so we can at least compare that way.

Is it possible to correlate those pounds per acre numbers to something understandable for aquariums. Acres are an area measurement, but our substrates are measured in volume, not area. What is the soil depth associated with pounds per acre numbers? With that one could convert pounds per acre to mg per liter, for example.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I can't provide you with used AS but I can probably get you some new AS but I think that would be a very slighted test since AS is infused with ammonia which quickly goes away after awhile.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next time I am up where the test kits are I'll look in more depth. I wasn't thinking about raw number crunching today when I was testing, but more about comparative testing between soil samples.

From what I remember of the literature that came with the kits, it is somewhat in exact because you are testing a small chunk of something not entirely uniform. I'll give more info next time I am up there (probably next weekend.)

If you can tell me how deep the soil is I can figure out the mg/liter.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New would be much better than used. Really only need about half an ounce to do all the tests and have a little back up. Literally one handful.

I can't provide you with used AS but I can probably get you some new AS but I think that would be a very slighted test since AS is infused with ammonia which quickly goes away after awhile.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.