The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tap water ph is around 6.5 to 7. Once in my tank it drops down to 4.8. Even after a 40% water change i dont see much change in ph. I dont think my ph test pen is faulty because when tested with api ph test, it results almost similar numbers. My tank is co2 injected. Fishes are a betta and ember tetras, which are totally fine, no negative signs. Plants are doing good.
Problems are with shrimp and snails. Shrimps only last 2 days and snails are immediately affected when put into the tank, they struggle to move and go into their shell. Is there any way i can keep shrimp/snails?
Also are snails affected by the diy macro ferts using kno3, k2s04, and kh2po4?

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
You say shrimpS, with an extra s on the end. Does that mean you're keeping more than one type of shrimp? What kind of shrimp are you keeping?

What are your other water parameters? gH? kH? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? Have you tested for copper?

That pH is a lot lower than Fluval's product can typically buffer. I'm guessing it's actually closer to 5.5-6.0, as API's test kits aren't too accurate on the low end. pH pens require calibration before each and every use.

That said - stability is what will matter most. If your shrimp are dying, it's not because of pH - it's because of other parameters like hardness and osmotic pressure.

Note that you shouldn't expect your shrimp to survive in a tank with fish. Bettas and Tetras can pick at, harass, maim, kill, eat both shrimplets and adults.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.