The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got me a new aquarium. Chose the Spec V because its smaller in than my original aqueon ten plus I just liked the design. Not to ecstatic about the lighting and built in filter. Definitely mods to be made in the future. To start I'm using Eco complete from my old tank and and using about 2.5 gallons cycled water. Didn't really scape much just added my drift wood with some anubias attached. Forgot what the other two plant names were but the one that looks like a brown lily pad for some reason it stop growing to the top but seem to be stunted. Any answers? Started the tank on Dec 12. Added my fish (3 silver tip tetras, 1 pea puffer, 1 bumblebee goby and about 15 glass shrimp) since they got no home. Dosed with nutrifin plant gro.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Baby Tears 12/28

Second pic is from today. Two days ago I added baby tears. Ordered me the fluval 88 co2 kit but for now I'm dosing with DIY co2 diffused through a elite mini filter. Reasons why I ordered the fluval was because its cheaper than the ADA and I'm hoping I can convert it to a regular BB/air soft disposable. Any feedback on how I can scape it better and if you successfully converted the fluval to a regular cartridge what adapter. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the driftwood cost me about 5 bucks. Ill post some pics tomorrow. Actually the baby tears are growing fast. Amazingly my Co2 is pretty strong from this batch. Any ideas for scaping? Plus I have some riccia had them growing on the pebbles but there not porous so didn't stay. Any ideas with it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update 1/1

So I got a email notification that my order for my fluval 88 co2 kit was cancelled because supposedly they are out of stock. So I guess I'm going to go with DIY for now. So my plants look more Sturn and have a little growth but not what I would want it to be so I switched out the LEDs and went with a traditional clip on desk lamp with a 25 watt spiral. My tank seems to be going in the right direction but I'm debating to start over and put some top soil under a inch or two of Eco complete. Advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly I'm not sure. Before they all were really tall lilies now there just like 3 inch tall. Any ideas to help me scape it better not sure if I really like it like it

·
Registered
218 Posts
If that 88g co2 kit hasn't come in yet cancel it. That kit will end up costing you way more than a co2 regulater. That LED light is not strong at all. I had good luck with wisteria and dwarf sag and other low light plants but growth was very slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vnghost- the co2 kit was already cancelled but I liked it because it was nano size and has a nice regulator. All good tho. Already switched out the LEDs for a clip on 25 wt cfl. Do u think I need another clip on for a nice carpet?

Level200- it's nice and I like it. I jut wish it had better stock LEDs but jut like any other tank there will always be mods

·
Registered
619 Posts
The scape is looking great! I would leave just one light on it for now since you don't seem to be running into any algae issues. Where did you get your plants from?

The only thing I would be concerned about is the "Baby Tears". If that is HM(Hemianthus micranthemoides name subject to debate), you'll have a problem growing it low as a foreground plant. It's a weed and could take over your tank. I suggest keeping it in the front corners of tank(to frame the scape) and also as a background plant. This plant has taught me a great deal about pruning stem plants.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Kai808- thanks what do u suggest for a nice carpet? I buy my plants from kalihi pets or Petland kahala. Haven't been to aquascapes on a while because when I go seems like there plants don't look healthy. I definitely need to take a look at what the sku read.

Andrewss- thanks I think patience is my enemy here because I feel it's not growing to my criteria.

I think I need some DIRT.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Kai808- thanks what do u suggest for a nice carpet? I buy my plants from kalihi pets or Petland kahala. Haven't been to aquascapes on a while because when I go seems like there plants don't look healthy. I definitely need to take a look at what the sku read.

I think I need some DIRT.
Most people would use HC or the common name Dwarf baby tears. You will probably need root tabs and maintain that diy CO2. I got some from Petland Kahala but I hardly drive out there anymore. You can call Aquascapes to see if they have any, they usually keep it in the back.

Also do a search for foreground or carpet plants here in the forum. There are many threads about it.

I usually find plants at coral fish or Aquascapes. Kalihi pets is the only place I haven't checked out yet.

Oh yeah, one more thing about dirt... It's cheap and good for growing plants. But I find it a pain when moving plants around or rescaping. Too much dirt gets kicked up and ends up on my sand cap.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.