The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first time post. Any ideas for other plants I can/should put in here to control algae? Also, the driftwood in the middle keeps getting scuzzy with biofilm, green and brown algae. Thinking of replacing it with stone. Any pointers?

Setup:
Livestock:
2 whisker shrimp
1 zebra Nerite
2 guppies

Plants:
Java fern (back left of tank)
1 Anubis
1 retrocrypto sprialis
1 [can’t remember, right side of tank]

Issues with brown (diatom) algae, I’ve used hydrogen peroxide dip for plants to control. Water parameters are decent, pH just below 7.
Plant Vertebrate Green Water Nature

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well it depends on how long your tank has been running. If it's a relatively new tank then it's normal for some diatoms to appear, they'll go on their own. If you're really in a rush, then vacuum gravel.

If it's an old tank, some Amano Shrimp should help. I mean this might be controversial but maybe some oticinclus but they're relatively sensitive fish so it'll depend on the work you are willing to put in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! Tank was set up in august. Not looking to add more livestock to the bio load. Oto’s and Amanos would probably be torn to pieces by the whisker shrimp; they’re pretty aggressive. Really looking to see if there are any other plants I could/should add. I do a 40% water change and vacuum the gravel once a week.

·
Super Moderator
15,889 Posts
What are your specific water parameters?

You don't need to disturb/vacuum your substrate in a planted tank - that just leads to breakdown and can lead to water parameter issues with shrimp.

Also want to make sure you aren't burying the rhizome of your Anubias and Ferns in the substrate.

You're likely running into algae issues because the lighting on newer Spec tanks like this is way too strong. Easiest thing to do is to cut your photoperiod down to no more than 8 hours and raise the LED fixture - or use my preferred method of placing a couple layers of fiberglass window screen material on top of the tank lid to dampen light intensity. If you cut it to size to fit the tank, you'll barely notice it. I have to do this with my Spec IIIs and Vs.

If you want to raise the fixture instead, you'd want to 3D print a riser or have someone print one for you. I've done this in the past and greatly prefer to window screen method. As an added bonus, it helps prevent jumpers in the lid opening.

As far as adding plants, you could consider any variety of moss, more Java Fern, basic Cryptocrynes - C. wendtii (any color) is a favorite of mine, simple plants like Hydrocotyle tripartita. They'd all look great in your tank and would help provide hidey holes for your shrimp to make them less aggressive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As difficult a task as it may be to get rid of it, I suggest duckweed. I recently rescaped my spec v to a dirted tank. Cycled it for a week with nothing in it, started getting algae on the glass so I did a cleaning and water change and tossed some duckweed in. Within a weeks time the top of my tank was covered in duckweed and I had no algae, I then planted valliseneria and within a week got runners going everywhere. Water parameters are perfect.. now if I can just scoop all the duckweed out I'll be set LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts