The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello--I am looking to get back into planted tanks after a two year hiatus. I previously only had small (10g and 5g) low light tanks (my first planted tanks).

I'm looking to restart things with the Fluval Spec V.

I've done a bit of reading and understand that the stock light leaves something to be desired.

I've seen a lot of people mention using the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 16 or the Finnex Stingray 16 (I'm particularly interested in the FugeRay). The PAR thread indicates that the FugeRay would be in the medium spectrum (I think) and the Stingray would be somewhere in the higher end of low, perhaps bordering into medium.

However, I've read conflicting things regarding the need to run CO2 with either of these lights on this tank.

Question: Could anyone tell me if they have the FugeRay (or Stingray) on the Spec V without running CO2? Or if you've tried this and failed?

ETA: Alternately, does anyone have suggestions for a different light that would likely not require running CO2?

I'd be fine with dosing excel, but I'd rather not jump into CO2 just yet if I can avoid it (on the other hand, I'd like a bit more light--and thus variety of plants--than I had previously).

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maybe go with the finnex 24/7, as it is completely adjustable. You can tune it to have low light to slight medium or even higher later as you venture into CO2. Honestly, you still wouldn't need to increase it much (if at all) even after you get CO2, as you'll get plenty of growth without high light.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.