The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo. Just bought a Fluval Spec V tank which I'm planning on moding to make suitable for a betta plus snail friend.

Anyways. I'm planning on planting the tank with bacopa carolinnia, Anubias nana petite, crypt undulata and dwarf sag. Assuming I can get my hands on all of that at least.

But. What I'm wondering about is whether I would need to upgrade the stock light for plants. The box says that the light has 7500k luminosity LEDs that is suitable for plants.

I'm fairly new to planted tanks so some of this is highly confusing to me. But. Would the stock light be capable of growing the plants I'm looking at? Or should I upgrade to something like the finnex stingray?

If the stock light will work that would be awesome. As id love to save the money. But if not I'd rather be prepared and swap it out. Just need a bit of advice on whether it's truly necessary :) thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
I set up a spec V a couple months ago,and mine was the first gen.They upgraded the light on the newer ones,they have a matrix design on the blacked out portion.

I was going to upgrade the light on mine,and I have dwarf crypt,dwarf hygro,hygro corymbosa compact,and an amazon sword,all are doing great with the stock light.the temple hygros are growing out of the top of the tank,all with the stock light,no ferts,just .25 ammonia every day to feed the bio filter.I'll put a fairly recent pic.excuse the background peeling off,lol

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set up a spec V a couple months ago,and mine was the first gen.They upgraded the light on the newer ones,they have a matrix design on the blacked out portion.

I was going top upgrade the light on mine,and I have dwarf crypt,dwarf hygro,hygro corymbosa compact,and an amazon sword,all are doing great with the stock light.the temple hygros are growing out of the top of the tank,all with the stock light,no ferts,just .25 ammonia every day to feed the bio filter.I'll put a fairly recent pic.

I think I may have gotten a first gen as well! I'll have to do some digging on model numbers to check. Awesome to hear that your plants do well with it!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I definitely got a first gen!

Your tank looks awesome!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.