The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting an amazing deal, $60 for both the fluval spec v and fluval spec lll. I wanted to upgrade the lighting and grow a carpet of Monte Carlo or dwarf hairgrass along with alternanthera reineckii. I was thinking DIY co2 and I have ADA Amazonia.

For the 5g spec I was thinking in addition to the stock light I could add my 12" finnex stingray. I'm not sure if that will be enough light or not.

For the 2.6g I could add the fluval 13W fixture. I think this should be enough. I also have an AquaLighter nano and pico in case.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Sounds fine, but are you sure you wanna use the same plants in both tanks? You should take the chance to do something different in my opinion.
By the way, can't off information on the lighting if you could find there PAR online though, that would give you a better idea whether they are suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds fine, but are you sure you wanna use the same plants in both tanks? You should take the chance to do something different in my opinion.
By the way, can't off information on the lighting if you could find there PAR online though, that would give you a better idea whether they are suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure how to find PAR.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a Fluval Spec V, and I have a 16" Planted+ on it. I actually built something to raise the light higher since it was too bright at such a close range. I think the Stingray would be fine, honestly, depending on how bright you wanted it. It'll probably be low-medium.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just got a Finnex 24/7 today on my Spec V, and with the intensity set at 50% the tank looks beautiful. 100% is incredible. It's also cool to use the thunderstorm and 24/7 features of the light.

The Planted+, depending on how much substrate you have, will give you around 85-100 PAR throughout the tank, at which point CO2 injection becomes vital to the tank not becoming an algae infested wasteland.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.