The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages for my first Iwagumi tank. I have the tank that I picked up during the Black Friday sale and a bag of Fluval plant stratum on order.

I'd like to design it so that it can be viewed from both sides. It seems nice stones like Seiryu are sold by the pound, how much would be appropriate for a tank like a Spec V?

As far as plants go, I'm not sure what kind of carpeting plant I want to use. I'd like to keep the tank low light I'm not that attached to the stock light and might replace it with a Fugeray in the future but I'm going to be setting up several tanks in the near future (I'm moving and have more space to upgrade) and don't really want to shell out that money right away.

How does marislea minuta grow under low light conditions like the stock Spec light? I obviously don't want it growing tall. Has anyone tried doing the dry start with ground moss? How well does that work?

As far as stocking the tank goes I'm planning on using the PFR shrimp from my failed Ebi and some Gertrudae Rainbows.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I also just got the Spec V and upgraded the light to a FugeRay 16".

The problem with an Iwagumi setup and the stock Spec V is the the emphasis on a carpet. With its stock light, you're not likely to get any carpet growing well. I wouldn't trust anything other than ferns, mosses and crypts (and really slow growth at that) with the stock lighting.

I think that if you want to go Iwagumi, then you're better off investing in the Fugeray off the bat. Otherwise you're looking at a rescape down the line whether its bc the carpet didn't work (which I honestly don't think it will with the stock light) or bc you went with a non-Iwagumi setup to facilitate the stock light.

The Spec V stock light is very-low light, not just low light. The Marisela, as with any plant, will like to be stringy and grow vertically in an effort to capture more light.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just picked up a Spec V too, and bought the 18" Current Satellite Plus. I like that it was low and compact. Gives you 36 par @ 12 inches above the substrate (per Current website). I have s repens and downi that I am going to plant. I dont have Seiryu stone, I have other rock tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.