The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

This is my first post to the forum - I've been lurking for a while. Anyway, I started this planted tank journey with a 37g planted tank that is currently doing well. It has more of a natural look and less (for lack of a better word) "Designy."

I decided I wanted to try my hand at a smaller tank, with more of a minimalistic, focused design.

I picked up a Fluval Spec V at the lfs yesterday and just set it up last night. It only has two varieties of plants, and the hardscape consists of one type porous black stone, and a dark substrate. I am planning on making it a single-species tank with group of small schooling fish (haven't decided on a species yet). It is currently up and going through a fishless cycle using ammonia, and seeded with some filter media from my cannister on the 37g.

I'm dosing SeaChem Flourish Excel, and a modified EI method for ferts. Unlike my 37g, I probably will not do a CO2 system on this tank (pending success of the Excel).

Please let me know what you think of the scape (on the 37g as well, for that matter), and if you have any suggestions. The photo was taken on my cell phone, so I apologize for quality.

Thanks and glad to be part of the forum!

Spec:

37g:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
lookin good :)

are you going to upgrade the light? I have a spec v but still use stock lighting - but also only use low light plants and am content with slooow growth.

one thing I was thinking is with all the dark colors you have goin on with your spec maybe a piece of lighter colored driftwood would look cool - like manzanita (which is usually real light and spindly) would look cool arranged kind of above or something - just an idea.

I have endlers (tiger endlers a guppie hybrid) in my spec v which I really like, but lately I have gotten interested in chilli rasboras and celestial pearl danios for comparable nano sized fish... good luck deciding ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I don't currently have plans to upgrade the light (my 37g is where I get my high light, CO2 injection fix :D), but you never know. I'm going to wait and see how the plants do with this. I'm not going for really tall plants or crazy growth in this tank anyway. So as long as they stay lush and healthy looking, I'll be happy.

As far as the driftwood, I totally agree. I'm waiting to find just the right piece though. I sort of wanted the piece to arch out over the middle of the tank, from the right side. So I need something with a stable base (that I can bury in the substrate) but with just the right arch. I'm going to keep my eye out for that. I think it would look nice and contrast the dark stones.

Also, I just looked up the chili rasboras you mentioned -those are some cool fish! I may have to try and see some in person. I think the coloration would look nice in the tank.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
well there are a few good sellers of manzanita out there and you can see many pix of individual pieces next to rulers and whatnot... search on google or even in the forsales here there a few big sellers of that driftwood as well as stones etc etc...

yeah those chilli endlers are real cool - aquarium adventure in columbus had some last time I was there but theirs were not so colorful which is probably a sign of stress or perhaps breeding I would assume (eg: their "endler" tank is mostly guppie hybrid stuff)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'm anxious to get some fish in there (waiting on cycle) and also to see how well the plants do with the stock LED. I'm hoping they do well, as I do like the light, and I want to try and keep this relatively low-tech.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Enjoying it so far. Just waiting on the cycle. Also working out my dosing plan. Anyone have any good links as far as dosing for small, low-light tanks? I do EI on my 37g, but I don't know if that's applicable for this tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts