The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after having my two new mollies die and fearing the worst for my entire tank, I decided to set up a quarantine tank. I know the Spec is small, but I had already promised my husband when I set up my 38 gallon, that it would be "just one tank." (I have a history...) Anyway, any fish I add will be small, so I think this tank will be sufficient for a quarantine. Also, filter and heater are hidden and it is silent and small - so really what can he complain about, right?

Just added minimal plants, java moss and hornwort. Did a cute little moss tree with spiderwood based on some pictures I admired. I added sponge from my tank to the filter chamber. The tank is now housing a pretty female betta which I'm hoping I can add to my community tank. I wasn't planning on a betta, but she is this pretty iridescent white. Depending on the light, she can look yellow or blue. I wanted a white or silver fish for the tank.

Anyway I wanted to post, since I didn't find very many pictures of the fluval spec online. Seems it is not a popular tank due to its odd shape and plant decals. I like it though and my husband just rolled his eyes and said "I've been down this road before."

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
I love your female betta, she is very pretty. I like your moss tree, too. I have a small 5 gallon quarantine tank, since most of the fish I keep are small fish. It has worked well, since I only keep smaller tetras, rasboras, etc., and I will buy 5 - 6 at a time and quarantine them for a few weeks. They are generally juveniles when purchased, so even smaller than their maximum adult size. My husband is an enabler ... he encourages me to get more tanks! He enjoys them, but likes that I do all the work :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The betta has developed dropsy as of today. Treating her with epsom salt, melafix and pimafix. But from my research, looks like there is not much I can do. She has a swollen abdomen and pineconed scales. She last ate Thursday and, in retrospect, may have had a bit of a swollen belly. I fed her frozen bloodworms Thurs and then by Friday night her scales were spiking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts