The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Is fluval 13w CFL 6400 K bright enough?
I have a fluval spec pico tank measured 7'' 3/8 * 7" 3/8 * 10" (2 gallon) is the light bright enough for nesaea and hc? I heard that wpg is not accurate enough for small tank like mine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am using one currently. It is definitely a vast improvement over the led light that comes with the spec. I am growing low light plants at the moment so it is more than enough, but It does appear bright enough for moderately high light plants. At 25 bucks each (amazon.com) they are not too expensive, why not get one and if you need to then get another and run 2 side by side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://rexgrigg.com/mlt.html
This is the article that got me thinking.
here is my simple calculation:
1, surface area of my tank:
7"-3/8" * 10" (1 side) = 70.4
70.4 * 4 = 281.5 (4 sides)
(7"-3/8")^2 = 54.4 (bottom)
54.4+281.5= 336 (total surface area)
2, 6400k / 336 = 19lsi

19 lsi is n't too bright at all, and i need 30lsi

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
isn't anubias nana a low light plant? but what i have in my tank are hc (hemianthus cuba) and neseae crausicaullis.

·
Registered
177 Posts
isn't anubias nana a low light plant? but what i have in my tank are hc (hemianthus cuba) and neseae crausicaullis.
If you dont want to do 2 13 watt fluval pc lights, look on ebay for "finnex light" they are 26w 6500k and they are cheap too. 36 bucks shipped...

I was able to use this to grow hc on a 4 gallon tank, Im sure it will work great for what you need it for.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am using the Fluval 13w compact light on my spec and at one point I had both HC and Glasso growing just fine. I have since removed the HC and put that into my 1 gallon nano and now just HC in the spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts