The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.Ive never done a tank journal before but looked through alot of other peoples. Mine is no where near the high tech built from scratch setups. Not sure what to add/post about but will.

Pretty boreing compared to most set ups on here lol.

I havent been doing much with planted tanks since i gave up trying to plant my 36bow that housed comets displaced from their pond. That was deemed a total lost cause after trying for about a year.
Had several threads that i started when in the past when i was trying to redo the pond and my 36gal. All those were false starts and hopes life always came and kicked me in the ass with some castatrophy or unexpected expence that derailed all my plans.

So im looking foreward to being able to set this planted tank up from the start, its also been a relearning experience. I need to give myself a new crash course in fert dosing cause its all going right over my head.
Also with the stimulus money ive been able to put aside a grand to comletely rehaul my out door pond from a little over 100 gal to close to 500gal.
So that project is also in the works. Once that is done and my 36gal is free of comets i have plans to overhaul that tank into a native fish tank.
But one step at a time lol and hopefully all plans and life will go smoothly.

After years of waiting I've finally gotton a betta tank. Sad to say but finding space in my shoebox sized room for this tiny tank was a chellange but I succeded.

Specs are as follows so far
-- Fluval Spec III stock expect for some
alterations to the flow hose via holes poked into to keep water circulating in the pump housing portion. Should help to keep the water temp by the heater overall more accurate.

--Substrate - Caribsea Naturals Rio Grande
  • Enhance liquid carbon 0.3ml daily
  • Micros 1/64 (drop measure) dosed Monday and Thursday
  • Macros 1/16 (smidge) and 1/64 dosed Tuesday and Friday.

• Hardscape - Drift wood moss rocks
  • Heater Eheim Jager 25w

-Fauna
  • Betta unsure if im going to buy from my LFS or look online
  • Two purple mystrey snails

Flora
  • Ludwigia x lacustris
  • Rotala x H'ra
  • Crypt wendttii "Bronze"
  • Crypt Nurii pahang mutated
  • Anubias pinto
  • Undicided buce
  • Floater Red Root or floating tiger

I think i might need a green plant of different leaf shape/texture to offset the fine needle leaves and colors of the rotala and ludwigia but dont have any ideas yet.

I will be placing a plant order in the next few days. The only plant I currently have is the Crypt Bronze and a Anibias nana.

Not sure if im really aiming for a planting style maybe dutch style but my main cocern is getting a good design in this small space.

So I bought two pieces of drift wood and three moss rocks. I wanted to have multipual options because i know scaping this small space will take work.
So far im having a heck of a time scaping this thing. Im open to ideas and will contine to fiddle with deaign ideas over the next few days.

Thats what i have so far but i think im calling it quits for the night. Will just weigh the wood down for tonight with the rocks get it cycling and try scaping again tomorrow.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol lmao. 15 min after I said i was calling it quits I decided I wasn't adding water and was goung to continue my fight with the hardscape!
Its been years since i set up a new tank and my first time posting a journal like this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I stayed up till almost 1am messing with the hardscape..... and made some progress.
I ve used both pieces of driftwood one propped on the other creating a cave like area.
Ive used two of rocks and am unsure if i can or even should fit in the third.
I think it needs a thrid rock becusr odd numbers are the design rules and so that means having 5 pieces of hardcsape.
I think ill head back to my LFS and look for another really small rock.

Front view

Left side view

Right side view
Picture quality isnt the greatest sadly my phone is old and when it came to either replacing my phone or getting a new tank...... it was a no brainer.
So ill leave this up for the hours see how i still like it. It was a absoulte bear to try and get scaped the small size is very chellanging.

Also I need to remove some substrate didnt realize i had that much in lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Finally got the tank cycling. I had the crypt and the anubias in 36 bow which is home to my comet while i redo his pond and he did his level best to eat the plants. Managed to pull three leaves off the anubias and two off the crypt the brat.

The fluval was a absolute breeze to set up. I turned the flow rate all the way down and despite seeing numerous commets from people about the flow being too strong I dont see that being a issue on mine at all.
The flow is very low, the light looks good. The tap sensor to swith between the settings makes me wonder how long that type of feature will last but we will see.

Still pretty cloudy right used aged treated water bit covenantly forgot out of test strips to check my water so thats on the to do list to pick up tomorrow.

Ive almost got my plant list finalized. Itll be intreasting to see how ill be able to fit them all in, but ied rather have too many plants then not enough.
Plant list so far
Driftwood/rocks
  • Buce x Kayu Lapis
  • Buce x Sylvia
  • Anubias pinto
Stem
  • Ludwigia x lacustris
  • Rotala x H'ra
Root
  • Crypt. Wendttii Bronze
  • Crypt. Nurii pahang mutated
Floater
- Red root

Still feel like i might be missing something thats a bright green and kind of airy. I need something to offset the other colors in the tank. Maybe a stem or a foreground ground cover like a Hydrocotyle of some type.
Have to look some up.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small update.
Placed plant order today should be here saturday.
Going to get out my digital camera out to take better pics of the tank and plants.
Also need to buy a tiny siphon to clean the tank.
Wanted to find out the PAR reading for the light on the Fluval Spec III. Found a post on here that said it was 40 PAR if i remember correctly at substrate level.

So i contacted Fluval to see if they could tell me the value and no surprise have not heard back from them and i messaged them Monday.

So if anyone knows/ can varifythe PAR value im curious. Also any good recommendations for nano tank siphons for water changes?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to my LFS yesterday to get another tiny miss rock to balance out the tank.
Whent to place it this am and noticed a slimey flim around the roots of the anubias nana. Touched and all its leaves fell off off and the rhizime was mush. So no clue what was up with that. Maybe it the was the 2 days is spent floating in my other tank.

The cypt seems to be doing fine, and can't check my water peramaters because for whatever reason every single one of my LFS inculding the dreaded PetSmart is out of test kits so im going out of town to go buy some joy joy.
Also to find a mini siphon ill need to do a water change to get rid of the excess plant material from the anubias thats floating around.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update.
Finally got my plants on Tuesday, of course the holiday had to delay them even though they should have arrived on saturday.
Either way all plants survived the delayed arrival expect for the red root floater, lost about half the bag. Put a few viable pieces in the tank and dumped the rest in my water lily bucket to see what lives. Not to impressed with the it so far.
Got a bag of extras with my order, a java feen, a crypt, a third buce, and floating tiger which i like much better then the red root go figure.
Ended up rearranging the hardscape lookes too cluttered once the plants were all in. Pulled out one of the pieces of driftwood and a tiny rock. Stuck the java fern in for now but think ill ear mark it for the 36bow oncw thats ready for plants.
Still not 100% happy wth this third layout i just tried tonight but i like it much better then what i attempted tuesday night with both pieces of driftwood.
Ill give it a day or two see the lay out grows on me lol.
Took pics of everything with my actual camera this time so hopefully i can upload pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So ive been lazy and havent loaded my camera photos to my computer so I'm just going to post photos from my phone again. This past week was hetic with getting ready to paint and painting a 8'x12' mural this past weekend.

Anyway all the plants are doing really well. I lost all tge red root floater which is fine since the floating tiger is doing great.

Water paramaters are all good checked it this am after my water change. Finally moved my baby purple mystery snail into the tank and got a good photo he/she lol, should think of a name lol.

Heres just some more photos im actually pretty happy with the layout and how its looking so far. Got my Eheim Jager 25watt yesterday and got it into the tank today.

So it will be 3 weeks this sunday since the tank got set up and almost 2 since the plants got added, so ill be starting my hunt for a betta.
So far i haven't been to impressed with the selection at either of my LFS even though i have seen nice ones in the past.
I'm thinking of going down to Preuss Pets down in Lansing to see what they have.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Looks really nice! I like the placement you have ended up with.
Don't worry, many of us on this forum have low tech tanks or no planted tanks because our plants have died-- lol!
My plants come and go. I buy more plants than I raise.
Looking forward to seeing that Betta!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!!
Im pretty happy with the placement, it was good choice to pull out that second piece of driftwood, it was far too cluttered looking.
I think the free java fern makes it a litte crowded, im not sure which varity it is. Maybe someone on here can help ID it, the buce and crypt that came in my free bag, just out curosity.

I haven't started adding co2 or ferts yet, and im honestly not sure when i should start! This is the first time ive actually been able to start a planted tank from the start, and i want to prevent a alge bloom.
Ill be following the EI method for doseing.
Ive had numerous failed attempts of adding plants etc. to existing tanks.
As of the am the snail shall be called Plum.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So started E.I doseing ferts today and Co2. Using the smidge drop measuring spoons for the ferts and one squirt of Enhance liquid Co2 which should be 1ml.
Hopefully this doesing goes as planed.
Have diatoms on the tank walls and a bit of green hair algae on a couple of the floating tiger roots. I know its fairly normal at this stage of a new tank but holy **** is it driving me insane.
Plum is cruising all over the tank doing their best.
Was thinking of getting another sail abd/or a shrimp gor additional algae control? Not sure though i have never done or even paied attention to shrimp and my foray into snails is fairly new exprct for my extreme, unending, completly justifible loathsum heatred of pond snails.

Ive had three nerites that have all died and had good luck so far with the mystery snails.

I know cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are popular. Ill have to see what my LFS says about stocking because online searching has been unhelpful so far, expect to tell me that im a terrible person for putting a betta in anything smaller then 10gal.... sooooo ill be making a trip to LFS and plan to go to Preuss pets on saturday to see what tgry have for bettas. Looked around a bit online but am very unsure about where to go for ordering a betta online, also would kind of like to actually pick one out in person.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So it looks like the mural painting that consumed all my time last week and derailed tank matiance is biteing me in the butt now.

Added the liquid Co2 before lights on and then came back with macros and turned lights on and noticed some melted leaves and black spots on one top stem portion of the ludwigia x lacustris, which is just wonderful...... not.

So last week was totally consumed by designing, planning and painting a 8'x12' mural so basically zoro tank matiance got done inculding water changes, considering that i was gone from 7am to 8pm everyday, bleh. That inactivity is really rearing its ugly head now. I have diatoms galore and some string alage.
I do however have new leaf growth on just about every plant.
So ill dose my macros then do a water change tomorrow, i have a bit of a oil film on the water surface ugh. I think my co2 situtation might be causing issues? Ive always struggled with co2, i dont have space for a complex setup and didnt think i would need one on blasted nano tank, ugh. Hopefully its just my lack of water changes and general tank matiance.

So the tank is a total mess right, now i dont how o thought i wouls be adding a betta this weekend.

Its really showing how out of practice i am with starting an aquarium.
So not happy at all with things at the moment, have to test water parmaters as well then wage the algae war tomorrow.
So game plan currently
-clean walls, decore etc
-water cange tomorrow
-figure out whats wrong with the lugwigia
-give plum a medal for being a busy little snail.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I dont what i was thinking when i was doseing co2..... appearently i wasnt.
So 1ml per 10 gallons of water. When i looked at my brain left off the zero and boom 1ml per gallon of water ugh.
So I went and pulled out a syringe for doseing pet meds that was only 1ml and my actual liquid carbon dose is only 0.3..... excuse me while i go beat my head againt a wall.

Also added to my todo list get a blasted timer for the light on the tank.
So i feel dumb, tired and that i totally forgot aweful the first month of a new tank is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Did a 75% water change last night, cleaned the walls, rocks and pulled out lots of plant matter floating around.
Been online looking for a new light timer. Was looking at Nicrew timer that has a simulated sunrise sunset. Not sure how necessary that is and havent been able to find out if the light on the Fluval is dimmable.
Trimed off the melted part of the stem on the ludwigia, corrected my liquid carbon dosage, and hopefully im back on track.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to do a small 25% water change tonight.
A few more of the very top stems on the ludwigia have melted off.
My replacements for my API mastertest kit should hopefully be here saturday after sitting at the Detroit distribution center for two weeks when I had had placed the order end of may beforw i ran out.
So i havent been able to test my water all week.
Did a bunch of research on timers, dimmers, lights etc. Ordered the KASA smart mini HS105 for a timer.

Was also looking at the Way2Top dimming system. I do bot believe its compatable with the touch sensor on the spec lights.
Then looked at alternate light because i like to make life hard fot myself. Was trying to figure out if the Chihiros C series would be a ok subsitute as i believe they can be paired with the timer/dimmer for a ramp up ramp down setting.
Just started looking into which lights might be compatable, fun times converting cm and mm to inches lol.
So well see how my reseaech goes.
Going to Preuss pets tomorrow, hopefully they have nice bettas if not the then ill be looking online ugh.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Reading through your past few entries and it's almost a mirror for what I'm going through with my cube start up+ neglected co2+ out of sync lighting+ improper tank maintenance= head banging. Good on you for hanging in there. Good luck!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reading through your past few entries and it's almost a mirror for what I'm going through with my cube start up+ neglected co2+ out of sync lighting+ improper tank maintenance= head banging. Good on you for hanging in there. Good luck!!
Ive been following your journal as well (well at least i think i am layout on mobile vs computer is strange). There were several times i almost messaged you to yell my extreme frustration and constant desire to beat my head againt a wall in ALL CAPS to someone else in a simular situtation lol. Its as if life decided, hey your setting up a new tank that needs your undivided attention and patience....... nah thats no fun have some disruptions, equiptnment failures and shipping delays!

No im not giving up ive wanted a betta tanks for years.
My API mastetkit replacements finally FINALLY arrived this am so im off to actually find out what water paramaters are, gulp.

It sat in the distribution center for 2 weeks because the box looked like someone let their toddler/puppy play with the damn box.
Didnt even put it in a new box, just taped it like a modern day mummy...... thanks fedex.....

So fingers crossed.
My timer should be here this afternoon, and hopefully i come back from Preuss Pets with a betta, a shrimp another snail, VES thai, pancruji or weeping moss, and Bylxa for ghe corner of the tank by the rock.
Good luck with your cube as well!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.