The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been wanting to set up a betta tank for years and finally got the Fluval Spec III as a gift.
Been out of the plnted tank community for about 4 years and was looking for some suggestions for plants.
I would like a crypt in the tank but not sure about which varity.

Would like a ludwigia or rotala that could give a bit of color in the background. I think i had good luck with a ludwigia x lacustris.
Maybe two smaller varaties buce or anubias nana or nana pinto.
Looking for any other suggestions for a carpet or other good plants for a nano tank.
What has worked for other people with the light on the Fluval?
My LFS has one set up with either a ludwigia or rotala thats doing well, some anubias and a few other plants.

Will be keeping the Fluval stock for right now just dropping in a Eheim 25watt Jager heater and dosing the tank with liquid Co2 and dry ferts. Suggestions for co2 and fert ratio for the nano would also be appreciated, not used to doseing small tanks.
Ill be working on the hardscape this week and will post pics.
Thanks

·
Banned
628 Posts
Congratulations on your Spec 3. That's a good tank. I've been wanting one but have nowhere to put it. My three recommendations for plants are Java Fern Anubias Nana and Cryptocoryne Wendetii. Oh, and I bet your Betta would love to have a plant floating on the top. You're going to have a happy Betta in that tank.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, this is someting ive been wanting to set up for years.
Java fern was another plant on my list so many cool varaties. Thanks for mentioning the floaters i forgot about them in all my planning.
Hopefully this will be a easy set up Im also redoing my outdoor pond which despite only being about 400gal is a massive undertaking and i want this betta tank to be fun and relaxing. Im thinking of posting journel section of the set up process.

·
Banned
628 Posts
As far as the Macro dosing goes. To make a 15:2:15 NPK solution with 50 5 ml doses, you would mix 11,807 mg KNO3 + 1,382 mg KH2PO4 + 5,076 mg K2SO4 and fill to the 250 ml line. I would have so much fun running this tank. Wish I had time for more tanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that i was unsure about the dosage for a smaller tank. Another question i forgot how long dry ferts last? I used to know this lol

·
Banned
628 Posts
Thanks for that i was unsure about the dosage for a smaller tank. Another question i forgot how long dry ferts last? I used to know this lol
They last a long time. I had a 500 mg container of Potassium Nitrate that lasted over twelve years. My Potassium Sulfate has lasted longer than that. I balanced out the Potassium when I did your formula. But I know that's not what you might want to use. There are so many fertilizers to choose from.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They last a long time. I had a 500 mg container of Potassium Nitrate that lasted over twelve years. My Potassium Sulfate has lasted longer than that. I balanced out the Potassium when I did your formula. But I know that's not what you might want to use. There are so many fertilizers to choose from.
I got all my ferts and liquid Co2 from Nilocg. Everything was bought back in 2017 ill have to ceck the Co2 dont remember how much i had left, might have to get new liquid Co2. Thanks again

·
Banned
628 Posts
I got all my ferts and liquid Co2 from Nilocg. Everything was bought back in 2017 ill have to ceck the Co2 dont remember how much i had left, might have to get new liquid Co2. Thanks again
You are welcome. What a coincident. I just got my CO2 yesterday. It will be enough to last me over a year. Good luck with your Spec 3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.