The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I managed to buy a used Fluval Spec 3 for 40 bucks and have since modified the filtration heavily.

My main question is if my new filtration is good enough and possible stocking options with it, I've ditched the stock pump and foam filters it came with and added a 4 tier media rack with (Bottom to Top) 2 ceramic bio media pouches, cut out piece of stock coarse foam and polyester pillow batting. I also installed the Hydor Centrifugal Pump 70 and a 10w heater in the back chamber.

I'm new to the hobby, thanks.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi I managed to buy a used Fluval Spec 3 for 40 bucks and have since modified the filtration heavily.

My main question is if my new filtration is good enough and possible stocking options with it, I've ditched the stock pump and foam filters it came with and added a 4 tier media rack with (Bottom to Top) 2 ceramic bio media pouches, cut out piece of stock coarse foam and polyester pillow batting. I also installed the Hydor Centrifugal Pump 70 and a 10w heater in the back chamber.

I'm new to the hobby, thanks.
How much flow are you getting from the new pump? I use my tank for a betta, think that may be a bit much, but still curious.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much flow are you getting from the new pump? I use my tank for a betta, think that may be a bit much, but still curious.
I'm getting at least 23x turnover, the pump is much stronger than the stock pump and it's lowering the water level of the back chamber by at least 1.5".

Although I have reduced it for my Betta as well, but those are the stats at max flow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts