The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive said before I wasnt going to buy anymore aquariums since I wanted to dedicate my full attention to only one but I went to petsmart and couldnt resist getting this fluval spec for $25 :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I had a bag of 4.4lbs fluval stratum laying around so I decided to use that as my substrate. Ive used this before and hate planting in it but I might as well put it to use.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I removed the carbon pouch and added more bio media but I want to modify the filtration system and build a stage rack for more efficient filtration maybe also upgrade the pump.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I got some seiryu stones and ive been working up a scape. I'm going to plant dwarf hairgrass and perhaps some baby tears. The tank is too small for me to even consider adding anything other than shrimp any suggestion on fauna guys?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did one of those but i was doing salt water i got so much sh☆ for putting a juvinile clown fish in there but some snails and a betta should be good

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did one of those but i was doing salt water i got so much sh☆ for putting a juvinile clown fish in there but some snails and a betta should be good
I was going to do saltwater too but everybody was telling me for beginner saltwater to at least use 20 gallons because a tank this small is even hard for the experts to keep parameters in check.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats the truth i went from the 2 gal fluval to the 5 gallon and its just a pain in the a$$ but i have 2 30 gallons set up a planted and a saltwater n i have to say its alot easier keeping up with those 2 tanks than it is with the 5 gallon

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great score! I thought I did well @ $32.
Yea it was the last one left but the box was a bit beat up so the manager knocked a few bucks of the price. I thoroughly inspected all the contents to make sure everything was intact. I'm planning on doing an iwugami style scape.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Picked up some baby tears today and I trimmed some dwarf hairgrass from my other nano to go into the spec

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Planted. Now off to the store to make a diy co2 reactor since im low on funds to buy a quality co2 system. Im currently setting up 3 tanks at once and I can only invest so much money into this one

·
Registered
512 Posts
3 tanks at once! now that is dedication!! Looking good by the way

·
Registered
327 Posts

Planted. Now off to the store to make a diy co2 reactor since im low on funds to buy a quality co2 system. Im currently setting up 3 tanks at once and I can only invest so much money into this one

I used DIY C02 a few yrs back and it worked great for the HC in my small tank. As soon as I stopped using it it all died :icon_sad:
HC luv's C02............:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well guys I've decided not to go with diy co2. The reason is because I feel like its too much of a hassle dealing with preparing recipe, co2 fluctuations, etc.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So since ive decided not to go with diy co2 I do have a fluval co2 kit that I've discontinued since the replacement cartridges are too expensive. A 20g co2 cartridge lasted me 13 days at 1 bps in my 8 gallon, so I scoured the web to find an adapter to connect the valve to a bigger more affordable cartridge .. no luck. But .. today I stopped by my local bike shop to get a replacement tire and noticed these 16g threaded pure co2 cartridges used to inflate tires that looked similar to fluvals. I bought a 6 pack for $10 and they work. These are 3x cheaper than fluvals and are only 4g less. I searched ebay and bought a 30 pack for $30 with free shipping. Thats $1 a piece which should last 6+ months.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also ordered 4 nano diffusers for $5. They ship from hong kong though so its gonna take at least 2 weeks before I receive them /:
I need to hurry up and get pressurized co2 in this tank my hairgrass is dying. Excel can only do so much!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got that same co2 kit the diffuser on it is huge. Hopefully I can find a small one at a lfs.
Yea that diffuser is huge!! It's so confusing to use and sometimes to this day I wonder if I'm using it right. At my lfs they have the fluval diffuser that comes in the 88g kit but it's $15! For now I'm using an airstone but I hate it. I guess I'll either have to wait or travel 30 miles to another fish store to buy a glass one which once I add up the gas and time wasted I might as well buy the one here locally.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts