The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a bag of Fluval Shrimp Stratum & put it in my 10 gallon tank. Is it me or is this stuff like mud? I rinsed it good, so I thought but every time I move it, I have a mad mud storm in my tank. Is it suppose to be so "Dusty"? I'm thinking on taking it out & going back to Flourite Substrate. Any thoughts on this stuff would be helpful. Thank you

This is a Low Tech, New 10 gallon Shrimp Tank with nothing but a sponge filter & a few plants. It's in the cycling process right now.

·
Super Moderator
17,001 Posts
It's little pellets of dirt. Of course it's going to turn to mud if you work it up.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk but rinsing it doesn't solve any problems. Just placing it in your tank and then SLOWLY adding water will solve the problem. There's not a real need to rinse it over and over like some cheap gravel.

It's the same with any fragile planted substrate. (Fragile in that it's not going to hold up like Eco-Complete)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I rinsed mine lightly when I first got it before adding it to my tank. Even adding water gently, it still kicked up quite a bit. But it settled and has gone through some moving of plants around without any further issues. I just treated it more gently than my other substrates and I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I understand. I read the bag before adding to my tank, it said to rinse it which I did & it's still very cloudy when I move it around planting plants ect..... I'll get used to it like you guys have. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I poked a bunch of tiny holes in the bag, and run it under the sink for a few minutes just to get rid of the really loose particulate. Then dropped it in very slowly, still in the bag, and gently laid it on the bottom. Then I let it settle for an hour, and used scissors to cut open the bag (already on the bottom) and gently spread it out. Still it bit of mucky water, but not too bad.

·
Registered
489 Posts
fluval ebi stratum = mud

I poked a bunch of tiny holes in the bag, and run it under the sink for a few minutes just to get rid of the really loose particulate. Then dropped it in very slowly, still in the bag, and gently laid it on the bottom. Then I let it settle for an hour, and used scissors to cut open the bag (already on the bottom) and gently spread it out. Still it bit of mucky water, but not too bad.

This is a great idea. Thanks! I just logged in to see if anyone had this same problem because I just got my first two bags today to fill my 10 gal also. I too read the bag (crazy that I actually tried to follow directions!) and it just turned to mud when i rinsed it also. I have two bags though, so now I know what to do for the second one thanks to Dave! I bought two 4.4 lb bags to fill a standard 10 gal just so I could attempt an iwugami setup with alot of depth. We'll see how it turns out. I also de-rimmed a standard 10 gal tank for this project to see how it would turn out. Filled it with water yesterday to the brim and no leaks. Wish me luck! I'll add photos later.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
DO NOT, and I have to say it again, DO NOT rinse fluval stratum.

Cut open the bag, pour it into the bottom of your tank, the put the empty bag on top of the substrate. Then pour the water from your bucket or hose right onto the empty bag which is resting on the substrate. The bag takes the brunt of the stirring force, and the tank stays uncloudy.

When you rinse it first, it 'pre-stirs' the substrate, and things get messy.

I know the directions say to rinse it, but I'm still unsure of why, it only seems to exacerbate the cloudiness issues.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep...made the same mistake the "first" time. cloudy mess for 48 hours. Since then, I've just poured it in lightly. then I just put a plate in the middle of the tank and pour the water onto the plate...turned out much better that way.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I, for one, adore this substrate! I've done tests with identical tanks save for the substrate, and shrimp populations were wildly different very quickly (exploding with the fluval, slow to grow with regular gravel)

The first time I rinsed it gently... cloudy mess. Now I just place the substrate in dry, then gently fill the tank with water. Crystal clear every time :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
DO NOT, and I have to say it again, DO NOT rinse fluval stratum.

Cut open the bag, pour it into the bottom of your tank, the put the empty bag on top of the substrate. Then pour the water from your bucket or hose right onto the empty bag which is resting on the substrate. The bag takes the brunt of the stirring force, and the tank stays uncloudy.

When you rinse it first, it 'pre-stirs' the substrate, and things get messy.

I know the directions say to rinse it, but I'm still unsure of why, it only seems to exacerbate the cloudiness issues.
I've always rinsed my FSS through a kitchen strainer and found that it helps reduce the amount and duration of murkiness significantly. You just can't shake it up or disturb it too much while it's rinsing, just tilt the strainer from side to side to make sure all the dirty water properly drains.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How does Fluval Shrimp Stratum measure up to Flourite by Seachem as far as for Live Plants? Is there the same nutritional values in Fluval? I have FSS in my 10 gallon soon to be shrimp tank with plants....... The plants don't look any better than when I put them in there two weeks ago...... They are not dying but they aren't looking to be growing either. Do I need to does with Excel? Thanks for any help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.