The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I use Fluval Shrimp Stratum for my 10 G, it is very light, I dont think plants will be easy to grab on, so I have about 5cm height, it is too much>? thanks

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I HAVE NO IDEA... that question is well beyond my experience.. i imagine since there is constant friction from water movement... the silt makes it to the bottom over time... look under ur aquairum sometime.. it should be brownish and dusty.. mine is and i use flourite.. the flourite didn't break down.. the decaying matte rhas just made it the 3 inches down there now :) good root food

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have between 3" to 6" inches of laterite, capped by 2" to 4" of pool filter sand, in my 75G modified Iwagumi. It's made a perfect bed for a tank full of DHG, dwarf sags and lilaeopsis mauritana. Earlier on, I had some anacharis growing for combatting algae. When I removed it, each stem had roots over 5" long into the laterite. Great combo for root ferts, root roids, gelcaps, etc.

I have FSS in two tanks and it has grown everything I've stuck in it. I do use plant weights on stem plants, as they will float easily at first. Even after rooting, FSS is not the most secure substrate for large stem plants. It is great for DHG, anubias, mosses, etc, though. I've never tried to use root ferts of any kind with FSS; liquids only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.