The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I am about to move house, and luckily for me I have been granted an aquarium upgrade

So I was looking at a Fluval Roma 240. It's for some Fancies but will eventually go to Freshwater.

With the already predrilled fittings in the base it seems like a good idea to install a sump. With it being coldwater I fully understand that there is no point in using live rock. So I was thinking of using a planted refugium. Will that work for this setup?

Also I have been looking at Miracle Mud. Is that good to use for a Base in the sump for the plants? I wasn't sure if that type of mud was specific for Tropical so could harm Fresh/Coldwater?

The only other thing is with regards to the piping? The higher pipe is the return and the midway is the intake. Now would be it possible to switch them round? That way there is less chance of the sump flooding. Or should I use both as intakes and put a return round the back?

Can you over plant? I was wanting to put some plants in the main display as well.

Thanks!
Ant

·
Registered
945 Posts
Go with the sump and forget about the planted refugium. If your main tank has plants you won't need them in refugium. You can't have to many plants but as they grow you will need more fertilizers. I have had over 70% coverage in my tank and it wasn't to much. It just took more pruning.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The pre-drilled Fluval systems are not really intended to be used with a sump, but for a closed loop system. You will need to completely change how the plumbing in the tank is set up so that the water enters the pipe filling the sump by overflowing into it at some point. If you have the entrance at mid-level without any overflow weir to interrupt it, your sump will overflow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is why I was thinking that changing the pipes round would be better, so the one at top level is the overflow and the one at mid section would be the return, that way I can point the heads upwards to break the water slightly on top to produce more oxygenation and give some nice flow.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Having any pipes down low in your display tank feeding a sump is a recipe for disaster. Even having your return line low is a bad idea. It would probably work okay while the pump was running, but as soon as you loose power to the pump, the water from your display tank will siphon back into the sump down to the level of the return - If you have enough extra volume in your sump, that would work okay, but your water level in your display tank would be low until the pump turned back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.