The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I need to organize the data and I'm feeling lazy right now but this was taken from a standard 75g tank... the readings for 9" offset 16"/18.5" depth (the other light is raised up on feet...) are partially blocked by some stem plants... oh well. Depends what you consider medium but maybe with lids and especially at the front/back it may be "low". The feet on the fluval give almost no height.

Thank you!!!

From what I am reading on your chart with all lights on you are getting a reading of 64 PAR at 19 inches with an offset of 9 inches. Most of my plants will do fine with low light but do better with medium. The only ones that really need the stronger light is my dwarf hair grass mats which unfortunately set in the front left of my tank. They would be at 21/22 inches offset between 3.5 and 9 inches from center. I am currently running four 30 watt t8s. A rough guess would put the PAR around 30 offset 9 inches at a height of 24 inches. If my math and curve are right. It would be on the cusp of what they like but I may be able to get by with 1. I was thinking about getting 2 and setting one towards the back of the tank and one towards the front but if I can get by with one I would rather invest the $160 for the second light on something else.

Bump: I have Italian Val, amazon sword, crypto Wendi red, bacopa, moneywort, wisteria which will all do fine with a lower light but the dwarf hairgrass is the one I am worried about. I don’t use co2 but I do use limited frets, root tabs and flourish as well as flourish excel for the carbon.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Hi @micca,

Wow! It looks like it will do just about anything I will need including adjusting the spectrum to my taste and photoperiod to my needs. Thank you for finding and sharing this!

·
Registered
15 Posts
And a Java fern wined love but it generally doesn’t care what kind of light I give it...lol

Bump: Windelove that should say, and ferts not frets. Thank you autocorrect...lol

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thank you!!!

From what I am reading on your chart with all lights on you are getting a reading of 64 PAR at 19 inches with an offset of 9 inches. Most of my plants will do fine with low light but do better with medium. The only ones that really need the stronger light is my dwarf hair grass mats which unfortunately set in the front left of my tank. They would be at 21/22 inches offset between 3.5 and 9 inches from center. I am currently running four 30 watt t8s. A rough guess would put the PAR around 30 offset 9 inches at a height of 24 inches. If my math and curve are right. It would be on the cusp of what they like but I may be able to get by with 1. I was thinking about getting 2 and setting one towards the back of the tank and one towards the front but if I can get by with one I would rather invest the $160 for the second light on something else.

Bump: I have Italian Val, amazon sword, crypto Wendi red, bacopa, moneywort, wisteria which will all do fine with a lower light but the dwarf hairgrass is the one I am worried about. I don’t use co2 but I do use limited frets, root tabs and flourish as well as flourish excel for the carbon.
64 was 6" offset 9" offset was 50 par + a few inches of height and my readings were with no lids on if you are using a lid...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a lid but the fish are livebearers, Cory cats and cherry shrimp so I can remove the lid without issue. I just thought of something, I may be able to place the light a little closer to the front instead of center since my background plants are all fine with lowlight. That would put my offset at 6 inches for the hair grass but closer to 12 inches to the back of the tank. Do you think the light spread would cover an acceptable low light at 12 inches offset?

Bump: Especially since the background plants are tall and do not really need light to reach the substrate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn’t think about that, the lights are 120 degrees, I think I am better off going with the two lights. Thank you so much for your help! You have been awesome!

·
Registered
6,776 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe this has been addressed, and I just didn't see it. Does this light allow you to program split photo periods via the app?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Maybe this has been addressed, and I just didn't see it. Does this light allow you to program split photo periods via the app?
Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong but from what I see, currently you set a setting for daytime and one for night, and then set the times to fade between them if that makes any sense? So mine ramps up to about 50% output over 3 hours and back down to nothing over 3 hours and another light comes on in the middle :/ I don't know how it functions with like a mechanical timer to turn it off in the middle of the "day" period

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Doesn't look to be split program-able.. at least not intuitively,,
you just set 4 photoperiods..

Bluefish mini is like this as well.
Coral-lux storm can't either..

Actually the only ones I know about that I believe can do this are the RAdions..

now "if" it retains settings you might be able to put a mech. "midday break" timer.. say shutting light off at the wall from say 12 to 1.......

Reactions: DCook

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Hi @Wobblebonk,

I believe you are correct, the video indicates only one photoperiod using the programming. However you could run it in manual mode (without ramping or changing spectrum during photoperiods) and use a timer to have multiple photoperiods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually the only ones I know about that I believe can do this are the RAdions..

now "if" it retains settings you might be able to put a mech. "midday break" timer.. say shutting light off at the wall from say 12 to 1.......

For the price of a Radion I could just about throw two of these on a tank and get it done that way :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is where the software upgrades will come in handy. I bet they add a feature that allows multiple photoperiods per day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just received mine and got it hooked up, Bluetooth app works great. Ordered when I saw that they had a new light, after trying to get the #!$% newly purchased wifi controller to work on my 2.0. Figured I would just return the wifi controller, but finally found an old Galaxy SIII that it works with, so now contemplating keeping it, but for the cost will probably return it and just plug the 2.0 into a timer like I had it before. Now have both running on a 29g, pressurized co2, dosing pps-pro. Ordered some carpeting plants as I've never had sufficient lighting to grow them, hoping that I do now. 30 minutes after plugging in the new fixture had pearling, which I never had with the 2.0...

Question for any currently using the new model - would you share your settings? Currently using the pre-programmed planted tank, but the 12 hour photo period seems a bit long?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just received mine and got it hooked up, Bluetooth app works great. Ordered when I saw that they had a new light, after trying to get the #!$% newly purchased wifi controller to work on my 2.0. Figured I would just return the wifi controller, but finally found an old Galaxy SIII that it works with, so now contemplating keeping it, but for the cost will probably return it and just plug the 2.0 into a timer like I had it before. Now have both running on a 29g, pressurized co2, dosing pps-pro. Ordered some carpeting plants as I've never had sufficient lighting to grow them, hoping that I do now. 30 minutes after plugging in the new fixture had pearling, which I never had with the 2.0...

Question for any currently using the new model - would you share your settings? Currently using the pre-programmed planted tank, but the 12 hour photo period seems a bit long?
Just got mine as well. Tank is not set up yet however. Glad to hear it is working well for you so far.

41 - 60 of 168 Posts