The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I picked up a Fluval Plant 3.0. I’m having trouble because whenever the power goes out, the light thinks it’s midnight. I get power failures about 1-3 times a month, and sometimes they are while I’m a sleep. That means I have no way of knowing if my lights timing have been altered until it’s too late.

Anyone have experience with this? Any work arounds?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey everyone.

I picked up a Fluval Plant 3.0. I’m having trouble because whenever the power goes out, the light thinks it’s midnight. I get power failures about 1-3 times a month, and sometimes they are while I’m a sleep. That means I have no way of knowing if my lights timing have been altered until it’s too late.

Anyone have experience with this? Any work arounds?
I and a few others have experienced these resets due to power failure. As far as some discussions here, a battery backup would be the only way so far to keep settings during power failures. Like a computer UPS. Something like THIS.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I and a few others have experienced these resets due to power failure. As far as some discussions here, a battery backup would be the only way so far to keep settings during power failures. Like a computer UPS. Something like THIS.
I actually have that hooked up to my tank. At the moment only my filter uses the battery. During an outage I feel that’s the most important thing to keep running. I’m curious how much batter that will use up.

I’m working on a reef-Pi system. I’m hoping I could use the built in blu-tooth to auto reset it after a power outage

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
This happened to me a few weeks back and I was very disappointed that there's no other solution other than having my phone near the light units. I can only imagine this if I were away for any period of time. I hope you'll write to Hagen and complain about this lack of a crucial feature. Enough complaints and maybe we'll see a 4.0 that will resolve this issue. It won't help our current lights, but that's a fix that they need to implement.

In my case, the CO2 is on a smart strip which does know the time and would likely be injecting CO2 during the dark period. If you manage a workaround with the reef-Pi please let us know.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
As a "work around" some add a "smart"timer set to on at midnight
That way you retain the cycle.
At least this is how I understood it.

As long as the cycle programming is maintained the " broken clock" is more an inconvienece than anything.

Reactions: Econde

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This happened to me a few weeks back and I was very disappointed that there's no other solution other than having my phone near the light units. I can only imagine this if I were away for any period of time. I hope you'll write to Hagen and complain about this lack of a crucial feature. Enough complaints and maybe we'll see a 4.0 that will resolve this issue. It won't help our current lights, but that's a fix that they need to implement.

In my case, the CO2 is on a smart strip which does know the time and would likely be injecting CO2 during the dark period. If you manage a workaround with the reef-Pi please let us know.
I did write to them. Their answer to me was basically ‘we made it that way on purpose, we didn’t think it’d be a problem. But don’t worry, we told our r&d team so maybe the next one will be better.’

Which is pathetic, because I just spent $250 on a light designed for planted tanks, that I can’t trust with co2. Do they think I’m going to spend that AGAIN when they come out with the next one?

As a "work around" some add a "smart"timer set to on at midnight
That way you retain the cycle.
At least this is how I understood it.

As long as the cycle programming is maintained the " broken clock" is more an inconvienece than anything.
That will work. But whenever you have a power outage, you’ll get another sunrise, and loose the sun set. At that point I would just use Manuel mode; and use a timer.... which negates about 90% of the features they advertise.

I hate fluval so much. The only thing worse then their faulty products is their apathetic customer service....

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This happened to me a few weeks back and I was very disappointed that there's no other solution other than having my phone near the light units.
I got a new Fluval Nano that when set to 0% doesn't go completely off.

So even setting it to shut off and turn on with the smart plug doesn't work. I was trying to wait until the local PetSmart had new ones in stock to replace this one, but I think it's going back tonight after work.

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
^^That's maddening!

@jeffkrol I'd considered that from your input from my thread but have yet to get around to trying it. I have four 3.0 strips on two tanks on opposite walls. I realized I didn't have the receptacle room in my one Kasa and the network of cords is already ridiculous. If I recall correctly, the idea is to turn it off at midnight every night and then set it to come back on a minute later. Do you think there could be any harm in killing power to the lights on a daily basis?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There probably isn’t a problem with turning it off daily, but at that point, just use a wifi plug on Manual mode.

In the email they sent me, they called this a ‘feature’ which really got under my skin.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
OK a bit of a rant all around here.
1) this "featured bug has been around for a long time.. Lots of Chinese/India.. gosh knows where programed stuff is infuriating
2) If US programmers wouldn't charge a billion $'s for their time maybe we'd have better stuff.
3) If you aren't on a time server I suspect it's near impossible to keep accurate time 100% w/a battery back up.
Soon people will complain that after a power outage their clock is 5 minutes OFF and demand compensation.. heavens!!
4) Do you really want EVERYTHING open to the internet (time server)?
5) How many microwaves come back on w/ the clock set?
6) Yes all my battery operated quartz wall clocks keep great time during a power outage.. go figure. Must be special.
Though at times some clocks/watches mysteriously jump like 5 minutes ahead for no real reason.

I said this was a rant and subject to being colored by emotions and a stupid timer/power strip that jaded my
opinions on life as we know it.. ;)
Not to mention that some Microwave programmers/designers need to be drawn and quartered, alongside automobile engineers..

In Fluvals defense the fact they added a bunch of data points in their new software.. well gotta love em.. ;)

Bump:
^^That's maddening!

. Do you think there could be any harm in killing power to the lights on a daily basis?

I don't think so.. Matter of fact it might just extend the life of the power supply.
But I suppose the less daily heating must be weighed against the daily surge of current when energized every day..

·
snails are your friend
3,010 Posts
At just 32 watts per strip -and the fact that they don't ever run near 100% on the vast majority of tanks -a pair or 2 of AA batteries would probably suffice for most brief outages. Though I'd also imagine that adding a battery pack to these would make them far less waterproof. Perhaps they could install it in the power supply cord somewhere.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Or just check the time over the internet when power is restored.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jeffkrol said:
3) If you aren't on a time server I suspect it's near impossible to keep accurate time 100% w/a battery back up.
4) Do you really want EVERYTHING open to the internet (time server)?
Don't need a time server built in. They can have a backup batteries just for the internal clock. It won't be 100% accurate, but it will be AT LEAST as accurate as the wall timers they sell at Walmart for $10. Most fish keepers already use that without problems. The clock can readjust for being off the two times a year I'd have to adjust it for daylight savings time. Opposed to every time the power goes off
jeffkrol said:
5) How many microwaves come back on w/ the clock set?
When I depend on my microwave to activate photosynthesis for my plants, to prevent my co2 from killing my fish.. I'll call lg and complain.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I run dual Fluval Plant 3.0 on two of my tanks. My problem is all of my tanks are at my office so power has gone off and I wasn't aware of it on weekends, etc. I won't purchase any more Fluval lights until they have a software workaround.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Considering other lighting options that include adjustable color temperature, ramp up and down and schedule, I think buying Fluval 3.0's AND a UPS might still be cheaper solution. There are better lights but, they are really expensive. IMHO, the Fluvals are great for the money.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can get two Aqeuon optimax lights for around the same price. I haven't tried it myself, but I am pretty sure they don't have this problem

I have a ups, but I only keep my filter in it. I can plug these poorly designed fluvial lights into it, but then I am lowering the time my filter can run during an outtage

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I can get two Aqeuon optimax lights for around the same price. I haven't tried it myself, but I am pretty sure they don't have this problem

I have a ups, but I only keep my filter in it. I can plug these poorly designed fluvial lights into it, but then I am lowering the time my filter can run during an outtage

How long are your outages? I guess I am fortunate, our power is underground so we rarely get any outages.

Bump:

How long are your outages? I guess I am fortunate, our power is underground so we rarely get any outages.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get them between 2-4 times a month... I know its a lot. and it's crazy because we pay SO much for electricity here.

they last anywhere from 10 mins to about an hour.

It's isn't enough for me to need to buy a generator or anything, but it's enough that I need to buy a ups for my tanks, and to mess up fluvial lights.

Even if I only got power outages once a year, if it happens when I'm at work, it will result in co2 being on, with no lights.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now my light has stopped working via Bluetooth.

Last night worked fine, this morning was 100% unresponsive.

Called technical support and they told me to email someone to troubleshoot...

Seriously, trouble shooting over email is the only option.... the company has offices around the world, and this is the option they give.

Fluval = crap

·
Registered
498 Posts
I second using a battery backup. My Fluval 36" is a meager 46 watts, and that is at full light. That is not much battery power at all needed to handle a short outage. The smallest UPSes available would suffice. To run the light at full for an hour would require a battery with maybe 2-3Amp/hrs for each hr you would want run it. Which is tiny (your car battery is anywhere 30-60 amp hrs).

This $38 unit https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP350SLG-Standby-Outlets-Compact/dp/B004OR0V2C/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3TZ5D2YIR6H7Q&dchild=1&keywords=mini+ups+battery+backup&qid=1601050150&sprefix=mini+UPS%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNODBMTVoyREtVS0kmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MDM2MTlFM1BEMTZGNFI0NVImZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDQ0NTU0NjJaWFMzN0hXUlkwRDgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

would run the 46 watt 36" fluval LED for 40-60 minutes at full light. If the power outage occurs at night with lights off or night light more, it would keep the light going all night long.

But yeah I agree with other posters on here, it would cost little for Fluval to add a small battery and ROM (if needed) to keep time and configurations through a power off. I don't know why they would not do that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts