The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a Marineland Aquatic Plant LED in 36 gal bowfront (21" tall) using substrate ferts, Flourish, potassium, and injecting CO2 (complete tank set-up is in my profile). My foreground & low-growing plants are yellowish-green and a red plant (Alternanthera) not so red. My other plants are fine, so I'm thinking not enough light. My light claims 172 PAR at 12". Not sure if that's accurate or if its strength has declined (6-7 yrs old). So I am considering a Fluval Plant 3.0 or Current Satellite Freshwater+ Pro, or other. Hoping to verify that either would be an upgrade over what I've got, and see if there are preferences out there between these two?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
@minorhero - If you have suggestions on stronger options, I'd be much appreciative...Thanks!
chihiros wrgb 2 is a good option but you need to buy it from e Bay or aliexpress.

Twinstar of course including the e series would be a good option as well. There are other good options but a budget is probably needed before I can give you more recommendations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chihiros wrgb 2 is a good option but you need to buy it from e Bay or aliexpress.

Twinstar of course including the e series would be a good option as well. There are other good options but a budget is probably needed before I can give you more recommendations.
@minorhero I have a 30" wide tank, so this seems to be the correct size:
But I have never heard of distributor "AquaRocks Colorado"?
My budget is ~<$200 so this could work.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Someone else was pushing that distributor. I have never purchased from them but if it were me I would go for it. I bought mine through aliexpress from some random chinese distributor. A state side distributor will be better if for no other reason, for decent shipping updates.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am running a couple of the Finnex planted+ 24/7 ALC's above my 75 gal. It is more than enough light. The 36" version is listed as putting out 75 par @ 18" (in open air) I would guess with water at 21" you would be around 50ish. Basically, at 100% brightness, you could grow anything if you have all the other supporting fertilizers and co2.

Amazon.com : Finnex Planted+ 24/7 ALC Aquarium LED Light, Automatic Sunrise and Sunset, 48 Inches : Pet Supplies
@Noahma Thanks for commenting, much appreciated.

I see you've got a 36 bow front as well...They are cool tanks but have their challenges due to dimensions & support bar at rim. I have an empty 26 bow front that I waffle around setting up & planting...Or maybe selling?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
@minorhero I have a 30" wide tank, so this seems to be the correct size:
But I have never heard of distributor "AquaRocks Colorado"?
My budget is ~<$200 so this could work.
It may have been me talking about this distributor (not pushing though). They are awesome and I think they are one of the few, if not the only authorized retailer of the Chihiros Brand right now in the US. If you have an issue with the light they handle it and they will deal directly with Chihiros. Also their prices are cheaper than what you will find anywhere else. The problem is I think they are sold out of the 60. I may be wrong. From what I last heard, I think they only have the 90 left. They were available for pre-order for the past couple of months and they just got their shipment. I'd write the owner and ask either on his webpage or his Facebook. He responds very quickly. I ordered mine back in December and the shipment was finally released from customs and my light arrives tomorrow. It's replacing my 3.0. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may have been me talking about this distributor (not pushing though). They are awesome and I think they are one of the few, if not the only authorized retailer of the Chihiros Brand right now in the US. If you have an issue with the light they handle it and they will deal directly with Chihiros. Also their prices are cheaper than what you will find anywhere else. The problem is I think they are sold out of the 60. I may be wrong. From what I last heard, I think they only have the 90 left. They were available for pre-order for the past couple of months and they just got their shipment. I'd write the owner and ask either on his webpage or his Facebook. He responds very quickly. I ordered mine back in December and the shipment was finally released from customs and my light arrives tomorrow. It's replacing my 3.0. Good luck.
@Fat Guy Thank you for your feedback...What were the factors that inclined you to replace the 3.0? I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Chihiros once you've had some time with it & it you feel it is an upgrade?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
@Noahma Thanks for commenting, much appreciated.

I see you've got a 36 bow front as well...They are cool tanks but have their challenges due to dimensions & support bar at rim. I have an empty 26 bow front that I waffle around setting up & planting...Or maybe selling?
Unfortunately, I have not had the 36 bowfront for years. I think has been over 10 years. It was a fun tank while I had it. I am only keeping the 75 gal. at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.