The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up one of my dream tanks on one heck of a deal! A Fluval Osaka 155 (41 gallon).
I have always loved the looks of these tanks but they were always priced WAY out of my budget! I just find it to be a very elegant and classy looking tank/stand. I am a reef guy and wanted to try something different. I have a couple of good friends into planted tanks and they offered to help me along the way.

So on to it!

Equipment:

Fluval Osaka 155 w/ Stand
Kessil Tuna Sun w/gooseneck
DIY Co2 (running on Citric Acid & Baking Soda)
Eheim Jager heater
Eheim ECCO Pro 200 canister filter
RBG LED ribbon backlighting

Hardscape:

Very large piece of driftwood
Western Sunset rock
Seachem Florite Red
Pool filter sand

Plants:

Anubias Nana
Anubias Petite
Tiger Lotus
Java Fern
Stargrass
Hygro Sunset
Hygro Polysperma
Bylxa
Dwarf sag

This is just my start, I am kinda going for a natural look with the scape and planting.

My future plans are to get everything hooked up to my Apex thats on a 130g salt system on the floor directly above this tank. I will also be changing out the DIY Co2 for a pressurized unit as soon as I get the chance. Most likely a Milwaukee regulator and a 10-20lb tank, but am open to suggestions. I will also at that time be switching it over to a hidden Co2 Reactor. I also plan to dose Thrive for the plants, my friends have great success with it.

I am at some point going to add some moss to the driftwood and top surface of the front leaning stone.

I haven't made any decisions on livestock yet, but am trying to track down some Chili Rasbora's and then my buddy has some beautiful F1 Apistogramma Bitaeniata fry I may get from him. But again, am very open to suggestions!

And onto the photos!​

Love that Kessil Shimmer!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0FYwhP7lU8

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great so far. I love the big piece of driftwood. One suggestion though, if you can, lower the diffuser. You want as much contact with the water to increase diffusion.
Thanks, I totally plan to!!! I am going to add a section of acrylic hard tubing to it, I just forgot to grab it while I was at the fish store picking up the light today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you like the Kessil? Did you get the 160 or 360? I have the 360 and control it with my apex and love it.
I love it so far! The shimmer is just amazing! My color is a bit off cause I have so much tannins in the water right now, but I know once it clears up I will love the color it puts off too! I have the a160we tuna sun. With it being a 41g I think the 360 would have just been overkill. My buddy runs a local shop and he has them over his plant display, not running any Co2 or dosing any ferts and he is actually getting good growth on them. I figure Kessil is a lab grade horticulture lighting company, so they know what they are doing when it comes to growing plants. Plus I have a bunch of friends that run em on their reef tanks and grow coral like mad. I need to get the cable and extension ordered so I can hook it up to my Apex, I may hit you up and get your coding from ya when I do if ya don't mind.

How has your's been with plant growth?

·
Registered
112 Posts
How has your's been with plant growth?
The shimmer is so nice. I love it. I have a 360 over a 34g...haha But I do run it at like 75%. My LFS runs all Kessils for both freshwater and saltwater, so I couldn't resist going with the Kessils. I plan to start a saltwater tank here soon. Been eyeing the IM 25 Lagoon. And over course it'll have a Kessil and run with the apex. haha Just today I pulled all my probes. I just use the wizard in apex. I had code, but it was quicker and easier to use the wizard thing. I just run a simple dawn/dusk for now. Trying to find that sweet spot for max growth and no algae. But ya. Let me know if you need any help with the apex. I'm sure you know though if you're coming from saltwater.

I have not had a plant I couldn't grow. People complain about the reds, but I haven't had an issue. I love the light. Simplistic and a beast grower. haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The shimmer is so nice. I love it. I have a 360 over a 34g...haha But I do run it at like 75%. My LFS runs all Kessils for both freshwater and saltwater, so I couldn't resist going with the Kessils. I plan to start a saltwater tank here soon. Been eyeing the IM 25 Lagoon. And over course it'll have a Kessil and run with the apex. haha Just today I pulled all my probes. I just use the wizard in apex. I had code, but it was quicker and easier to use the wizard thing. I just run a simple dawn/dusk for now. Trying to find that sweet spot for max growth and no algae. But ya. Let me know if you need any help with the apex. I'm sure you know though if you're coming from saltwater.

I have not had a plant I couldn't grow. People complain about the reds, but I haven't had an issue. I love the light. Simplistic and a beast grower. haha

Awesome! Good to know! I have this one set about 60% or so and it looks about right, but I also have it mounted a lot lower than you do on your tank. I am pretty familiar with Apex, have a bunch of stuff running on it on my reef tank. I may end up buying another Energy bar and PM1 to run down to this tank, I haven't decided yet. I can control the Kessil with the cable cable and the cable extension since the apex is about 9' away upstairs. But if I wanted to control the heater and run probes I would need those add on modules.

What all are you using your Apex for on your tank? I really wish they had a probe for GH and Co2!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Awesome! Good to know! I have this one set about 60% or so and it looks about right, but I also have it mounted a lot lower than you do on your tank. I am pretty familiar with Apex, have a bunch of stuff running on it on my reef tank. I may end up buying another Energy bar and PM1 to run down to this tank, I haven't decided yet. I can control the Kessil with the cable cable and the cable extension since the apex is about 9' away upstairs. But if I wanted to control the heater and run probes I would need those add on modules.

What all are you using your Apex for on your tank? I really wish they had a probe for GH and Co2!!
That makes sense. My tank has some weird dimensions, so I have my light higher to hit the whole tank.

I had the ph probe to monitor my C02. 1 ph drop is 30ppm C02 in the water, which is ideal for plants. I had it control my Green Leaf Aquarium regulator (Definitely recommend) when I reached max ppm in the water. Don't want to gas my fish. I pulled it though and am only using a drop checker now.

I also used the temp probe to control my heater. Worked perfectly.

I pulled everything though. I want to try and have the least amount of equipment in the tank. I plan on using it all on my saltwater setup though. I may need to get another energy bar for my salt. haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That makes sense. My tank has some weird dimensions, so I have my light higher to hit the whole tank.

I had the ph probe to monitor my C02. 1 ph drop is 30ppm C02 in the water, which is ideal for plants. I had it control my Green Leaf Aquarium regulator (Definitely recommend) when I reached max ppm in the water. Don't want to gas my fish. I pulled it though and am only using a drop checker now.

I also used the temp probe to control my heater. Worked perfectly.

I pulled everything though. I want to try and have the least amount of equipment in the tank. I plan on using it all on my saltwater setup though. I may need to get another energy bar for my salt. haha
yeah, thats one good thing about my tank setup, I can hide a probe holder behind the driftwood really easily...lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i love the wood
seems overwhelming at first but then it knda act like a natural background

what about a black sticker at the back of the tank? the white wall behind left side is a little distracting
I planted the taller stemmed plants along the back, so it eventually will curtain the background. It's just going to take some time to get there..lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it switched over to a pressurized Co2 system today.

14.2lb tank with an M3 regulator. Nothing fancy but it works well and the price was too good to pass up.

I also picked up some hard line air tube and bent it to a U shape to hang over my tank edge and go down to my diffuser. Looks a TON better than the standard airline being wavy on its length to the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the cycle finished up in my tank so it was time to start with some fish.

The first residents are 5 Skunk Cory's. Love these lil guys! Pardon the camera phone pics, I will get some proper photos soon.

And then my buddy who is raising up my Apisto fry for me sent me some current pics today. They are getting quite a bit bigger and starting to get some more color! These guys are gonna be gorgeous!

Now time to start dosing ferts and adding some more plants!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great looking tank!

If I may...

1. Remove the magnetic cleaner from the side. IMO it ruins the look of the tank. Plus I've had one of those before and eventually it causes scratches in the inside of the tank. Even if its a glass tank. I found this out the hard way.

2. The diffuser, while it looks nice up high, I think you're wasting CO2 because it doesn't have enough room to dissolve as it moves up the tank. If you can, I'd move it closer to the bottom (but that's just me). Aesthetically, it looks good up there, but functionally you could be getting more efficient use of the CO2.

EDIT: My bad. I see on this 2nd page that you have moved the diffuser down lower. Good choice. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.