The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have finally decided to upgrade from (2) 40 gallon rated HOB filters to a good canister filter. I have a 36 gallon bow front and want a great deal of circulation and water flow. What do you guys suggest? (Fluval, Eheim and what model#)

·
Registered
576 Posts
If mega flow is your goal, you're going to have to step away from convention. A 200-300gph rated canister filter is going to deliver 150-250gph to the tank. That's probably less flow than you have now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Both are great filters.

I have the Fluval 305 on my 45g at the moment. I previously had the Ehiem 2215. I found the fluval to have:

-Better flow
-Better hoses and fittings (In my opinion)
-Adjustable flow rate
-Easier to clean
-Separate Baskets
-Much easier to prime/restart

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a Eheim 2213. Now I am using a Fluval-205 I have had the Fluval for 3 months and the Eheim for about 6 months. In my personal opinion that Fluval is vastly superior to the Eheim.

There is an interesting YouTube video of someone cleaning his Fluval filter after many months of operation. Of course it was gunked up but its very impressive see the evenness of the accumulated gunk on the filter media. The Fluvial seems to make full use of its filter media. The product gives the impression of a lot of time and talent expended to perfecting its design. The Eheim presents a much more basic approach and seems outdated.

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
Actually the eheim classics are the only filter that I know of that has to (by design) force water to flow through all of the media because of it's input being on the bottom and outflow on the top. I only have to clean my 2217 once a year granted it's on a 18g tank but still. I wonder what size tank the YouTube filter was on (didn't watch it).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I only use fluval canisters. I am new with the planted tank scene, however all of my tanks are based around turtle needs. Turtles are some of the dirtiest aquatic animals to keep. On my 150 gallon I run a fluval fx5. The first change I did was 8 months after the filter was set up. The tank has roughly 40 fish, and 5 4 inch turtles in it at that point in time. The filter was gunked, however still had a good flow to it.

The filter's media was greatly off however. Two chambers had a bio media, and the other two just carbon. I think if I had adjusted things better I could have prolonged the filter change a few more months.

Also, I had a 405 on a 75 gallon running for a year with no change. Tank was crystal clear.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
There is a constant battle between Eheim users and Fluval users on this forum and you are going to hear a great deal about both. One thing that is consistent though is the Eheim's silence. However, I run the Fluval FX5 under my cabinet and don't hear a thing. It will certainly be hard to gather a definite consensus on the two brands. I also run two Marine Land 350 Pro systems and am really satisfied with them. Marine Land doesn't seem to get much attention on the forum, but the two I have run quietly, efficiently, and reliably.

I only use fluval canisters. I am new with the planted tank scene, however all of my tanks are based around turtle needs. Turtles are some of the dirtiest aquatic animals to keep. On my 150 gallon I run a fluval fx5. The first change I did was 8 months after the filter was set up. The tank has roughly 40 fish, and 5 4 inch turtles in it at that point in time. The filter was gunked, however still had a good flow to it.

The filter's media was greatly off however. Two chambers had a bio media, and the other two just carbon. I think if I had adjusted things better I could have prolonged the filter change a few more months.

Also, I had a 405 on a 75 gallon running for a year with no change. Tank was crystal clear.
I am running the FX5 on my 75 gallon. I couldn't imagine letting it go a year without opening it up. It's been on for about 2 months and I'm already wanting to open it up just to make sure everything is in order. Maybe I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have an Eheim 2028 on my 40B. It produces enough flow to sway all the plants from one side of the tank to the other and create a nice circular current.

I've cleaned it "ONCE" in almost a year and I have seen no reduction on flow.

I know everyone swears by the Classics, but personally I like the ease of the Pro series which is why I'm considering an Ecco for my 13.3 Gallon I'm starting later this month.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Both are top notch filters. Fluval moves more water. Eheim is quieter. Both are very reliable, and even when they do wear out, it's easy to get replacement parts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually the eheim classics are the only filter that I know of that has to (by design) force water to flow through all of the media because of it's input being on the bottom and outflow on the top. I only have to clean my 2217 once a year granted it's on a 18g tank but still. I wonder what size tank the YouTube filter was on (didn't watch it).
I think the problem with the smaller Eheim canister is the inside diameter of the tubing. Much less then the equivalent Fluval. My Fluval 205 with Loews brand internally smooth tubing circulates a lot of water..
My Eheim had difficulty burping trapped air not so with the Fluval.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Eheim 2217 or Eheim 2028, which is discontinued but you can buy one with heater (Eheim 2128) from bigalsonline. I think Eheim 2128 is nice since you don't have to put your heater in the tank, which doesn't look good. Since Eheim 2128 and 2028 is discontinued for newer models you can get it for a lot less than MSRP.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned about is with Eheim honoring the warranty. I've read numerous accounts where people have had difficulty (no success) getting them to take care of problems with their faulty filters... they supposedly have horrible customer service but maybe someone else can chime in if they have had better service than what I've read about.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned about is with Eheim honoring the warranty. I've read numerous accounts where people have had difficulty (no success) getting them to take care of problems with their faulty filters... they supposedly have horrible customer service but maybe someone else can chime in if they have had better service than what I've read about.
I had issues with Eheim. I bought a filter that was missing some stuff, probably a return that was my LFS fault. They didn't respond to me and the LFS said they responded but it would take two weeks. I ended up just buying the missing parts. Unfortunately that store doesn't carry parts and is hard to deal with so I had to pay about $20 out of pocket to fix a broken impeller and buy a few clips. I wouldn't care so much now but it was my first canister and had no clue what was going on. It was pushing water but was super noisy so I didn't know that something was extremely wrong. At the same time, that could be a testimant to the filter. Even broken, it worked well enough to do it's job, just wasn't very quiet (still about the same as most HOB filters I have had).

That said, I have only had Eheim's. I have a 2215 and a 2234. I like the 2234 a little better but I don't know that I would pay more for it (I actually got it on clearance for $35). It is super easy to prime.

These things are dead silent. I have 1 in a home recording studio with mics that pick up everything. Cannot hear it before some outside noise would be picked up when turning my mic preamp (volume of the mic basically) 8-10x as loud as I would record. That's pretty insane.

The other one is in my girlfriend's studio apartment. I can't hear it and that one isn't even enclosed, I have a metal stand. My AC 20 can keep me up on the tank in my bedroom but this 2234 is SILENT. I didn't know quiet until I got that filter, makes my 2215 seem loud and that is a very quiet filter.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Eheims are great but a bit overpriced IMO, even the spare parts. Sure its German designed but its still made in China.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Personally I've yet to have an issue with Customer Service, but what you need to remember is that for every 1 that posts a complaint there are usually 20 more happy, but there are 9 others unhappy, etc....

The happy ones don't tend to say so, the unhappy ones tend to be very loud about it.

·
Registered
576 Posts

There is truth to this. I've purchased at least a dozen eheim filters over the years. I've had exactly 2 issues that I felt should have been eligible for warranty replacement and was told to pound sand.

Frustrating, but I'm not sure I blame them from a business standpoint. Even after outsourcing everything to China and all the warranty complaints, how much marketshare have they lost? The high flying world of not-garbage fish filters isn't exactly buzzing with competition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts