The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this 0.7oz kit rated for up to 15 gallons be ok for just a little boost to my plants in a 29 gallon or should I go for the bigger unit? I'm new to planted tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
I would not recommend it since it uses proprietary cartridges.

Furthermore, for an aquarium your size, those cartridges will run out rather fast.

This means that the cost will build up very quickly, so in the end, it would be better to get a standard CO2 cylinder.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking, but I was looking at regulator solenoid combos and the nicer ones are kind of pricey, what's a cheap setup I could buy, with a list of everything I would need, I like the idea of a paintball tank setup, I don't want to do one of the soda bottle reactors.

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
Unfortunately, pressurized CO2 is going to be a sizable investment. If you do not have enough money now, I think it is better to save up, and then invest in a proper setup at a later date, rather than buying a cheap system now.

In the long run, buying a cheap setup will likely end up costing you more.

·
Registered
509 Posts
ihave a aquatek mini co2 paintball regular and a 24 oz co2 tank. came out to probaly a lil over $120 on amazon.

the fluval co2 brand set up is the same exact price or even more for a small unit that ithink is worthless.
you would be spending way more in the long run than just getting a good set up.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If I was going to go for a pb setup, I'd get a standard regulator and just use an adapter. Not many of the pb regulators are reliable enough for my taste and if you went bigger later you'd already have the standard regulator. Adapters are about $10.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a good DIY thread on here where you can build your own regulator. Fairly easy to do and I just priced one out for a new tank of mine. It came out to around 40.00.

The Aquatek mini regulator and a 20oz paintball tank will cost you a little over 100.00 on Ebay. I use this setup for my 29g and at 6bps I get about a month and a half out of a single tank. It's a good regulator so far and I have no reason to doubt it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ihave a aquatek mini co2 paintball regular and a 24 oz co2 tank. came out to probaly a lil over $120 on amazon.

the fluval co2 brand set up is the same exact price or even more for a small unit that ithink is worthless.
you would be spending way more in the long run than just getting a good set up.
+1

I have the same aquatek + paintball canister setup and it has been totally reliable to me. Solenoid never gets warm and I can use it on a timer so I'm not running it all night. CO2 refills are $4 every 8 months at my local Dick's.

·
Registered
353 Posts
+1 on the aquatek regulator/pb co2 tank set up. have it on my 20L and it saves you a lot more money in the long run.

I purchased the fluval set up over the internet as well, then wanted to return it (long story short i got it for free because the seller did not accept returns on combustible gases which they did not make apparent on their website). I wound up hooking it up to an 8g evolve and eventually took it out because i didn't feel like spending 30$ every time i needed some new canisters.

once you get past the initial investment, spending 5 bucks every 4-5 months sounds much better to me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I think I have made my descision, wait a few weeks and get the aquatek, what size tanks are you running the on set ups on and how long is it lasting, I have a 29 gallon and a 75 gallon, I was wondering if a ob setup would be feasible on the 75 if I ever wanted to do it, or would I go with the full size?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I have made my descision, wait a few weeks and get the aquatek, what size tanks are you running the on set ups on and how long is it lasting, I have a 29 gallon and a 75 gallon, I was wondering if a ob setup would be feasible on the 75 if I ever wanted to do it, or would I go with the full size?

ihave the 24oz co2 on my 20long and iset it up in Nov. last year, and istill have some ways to go to refill mine

·
Registered
353 Posts

i also have the 24oz on my 20L. I run at 2 bps for approx 9 hours a day. I filled it sometime during the summer i believe and I just got it refilled this past weekend.

keep in mind there was some fiddling with the bps for the first couple of months.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Good choice, I've had luck with mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts