The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone swapped out their mechanical pre-filter cartridge with a 2nd chemical cartridge filled with filter floss? I saw that suggested on another thread, and was curious if anyone here had tried it and what the results were. On paper, it seems like a viable alternative to rotating through multiple pre-filter cartridges. It seems even with my cleaning regiment on the pre-filters, they eventually just last less and less time before restricting the flow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had good luck using the fine mechanical filter with a sponge on my intake pipe. I actually swapped out one of my purigen bags for filter floss last night so I will take a pic when I get home from work so you can see whether it's been effective at catching debris.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are the pics of the filter floss after running in my chemical cartridge for one day. The filter floss seemed totally clean still and actually felt mostly dry when I took it out of the cartridge but that might just be because I shook the water out before I opened it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Thanks for posting the pics. I realized - and I should have known - that they two cartridges are "keyed" to only fit on a specific side. I think I might give what you've done there a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts