The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd start a thread on these filters. Being an owner of one, when looking for advice, I didn't find much on these. I figured it would be a good idea for those that have them or for those considering buying one.

First I must say I just purchased mine 17 weeks ago, (I know this thanks to the maintenance schedules on the display), which is a great feature for a person like me.

Just quick background. I just started my first ever planted tank. I went from a 10G tank,, that my son had received as a gift, to deciding to jump head in with a 75G planted.

I was running an aquaclear 30 on my 10G which I felt was a great HOB filter.

So anyway let's get to the G6 which is what I'm using.

I find it very user friendly even for a novice. I love that it gives you the maintenance schedule on the lcd display. For a person like me that is a huge plus.

I also like the "aquastop" valve feature. So nice to just pull a lever and horses are disconnected with not much more than a couple of drops of water. This allows me to pull the filter to where it is easy to work with and remove the top. Very convenient for cleaning or changing the media in the 3 trays.

As many reviews I read stated it does only come with enough of the "G-nodes" to fill 2 of the 3 trays. This actually is fine with me as I loaded the 3rd with matrix and a bag of purigen.

Im also using the seachem carbon for the carbon canister in the filter.

I added the fine pre filter and like that a lot. It needs cleaning more often but I find it very easy to clean and does provide better water clarity.

Sorry this is all over the place and probably could use more detail but this is my first review. Also I'm multi-tasking

Mainly just wanted to start this for questions and suggestions for and from others.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Aren't these filter discontinue? I still see them for sale but I heard there on the way out. What has kept me from buying is how much they cost and you can only use there filter medium. Other wise they look to filter water good with very little by pass.

Good to hear that you like it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been using a G3 for the past couple of months on a 60P tank. Works great. Keeps the water crystal clear and has very good flow. My favorite part is how easy it is to clean, which is especially useful when establishing a new tank and the mechanical filter needs to be cleaned more frequently. It's great to not have to take the whole filter apart to do that.

I also like the graph of how water temperature fluctuates over the past 8 days.

My only gripe is that I still have no clue how or why the conductivity setting matters.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thank you for posting this! I haven't had a tank large enough for a canister but I like to read up on them to be ready if ever I do. A lot of people really recommend ehiems, which no doubt must be great filters, but I really like the design of these. It's a shame if it's true that they are being discontinued. Hopefully Fluval will just be upgraded a future model.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm using seachem media in mine.

Yes you are stuck with the fluval mechanic filter but I'm happy with that. I have the regular and the fine one.

As for the rest I feel it's very versitile. I'm using seachem carbon, matrix and purigen in mine along with the fluval bio max

I've been using a G3 for the past couple of months on a 60P tank. Works great. Keeps the water crystal clear and has very good flow. My favorite part is how easy it is to clean, which is especially useful when establishing a new tank and the mechanical filter needs to be cleaned more frequently. It's great to not have to take the whole filter apart to do that.

I also like the graph of how water temperature fluctuates over the past 8 days.

My only gripe is that I still have no clue how or why the conductivity setting matters.

I think conductivity is more for the Marine market.

Also theory behind it is that fluctuations in conductivity can alert you of time for water change. It's essentially a feel for TDS

Personally I ignore it as I do weekly water changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.