The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyon has heard any more about it. New filters don't come along very oftern, so even though their is skepticism about the value, I;m curious if there have been any previews, early reviews beyond the marketing stuff so far.

I haven't seen any. I do think they should give us all free ones to start their reputation :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
560 CDN i heard for the G6... and if it is that cheap ill be buying ne and adding it to my 125

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes its a lot. But its new, prices will come down to Eheim levels eventually. One thing that was interesting is that I recall a lot of negatives said about the low flow rates of these filters. But, they seem well in the ballpark of other filters. I guess filter flow rates listed as pump rates, or filter throughput with media, w/o media causes as much confusion and mis-information as "watts per gallon" does for lighting. These stats seem fine:

G3: 185 gph through filter, 365 gph pump rating
G6: 265 gph.................., 665 gph..............

Dimensions are good for tight cabinets like the Osaka. Can't think of any other filter that acheives G6 flow rates at less than 13x10x10. Nothing else that reaches those rates will fit in my Osaka cabinet...I don't think....Hardly an expert.

I look forward to hearing more about it...and the price falling.

AB

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you were doing an ADA style tank in a metal, or glass stand like they have, this would be a good filter to have. Would look good in an exposed setup and is still a lot cheaper than the ADA filters.

Still too high for me. Another year, some track record and price drop then we'll see.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The FX5 is a great filter (I have one), but I would never have one in my living room. The noise level is way too high. The smaller Fluvals seem much quieter. I guess it's one of the consequences of a high flow rate.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I don't get the comparison to the FX5, totally different beasts. If you want to push a lot of water, sure, that would be one way to go. Have fun fitting that under a small stand though.

What's attractive about this filter is a combination of things:
-It's pretty darn small and very powerful for the size.
-Having the mechanical and chemical modules separate from the bio media is huge. I never liked ripping open the canister just to get to my sponge pads. As a result my flow suffered. And without closely watching my tank, I wouldn't notice until it actually caused problems. Being able to change the mechanical media quickly is awesome. Being able to have an alert tell me the flow is suffering is awesome.
-I also like the looks of the intake/outflow. Black in color (looking at you XP's) a split outlet, and clips to a rimless tank just fine.
-It's also an attractive filter. People pay a premium for their aquarium to have a certain look, why not a filter? Many stands have exposed compartments, are totally open, or have glass doors where you might want something more attractive.

I'm a supporter of innovation. Do I -need- charting and all that this filter does? No. Could it potentially help? Sure. For me the big thing is the ease of access/use and the reminder/alerts.

I find it weird that on a bunch of forums people are like "I could get 3 eheim classics for that price!" Uh, ok. If you really want to cram 3 canisters under your stand and run 6 hoses up the back, go for it. I don't see how that comparison comes out ahead. You still don't have built in charting/monitoring or alerts. It certainly isn't more elegant or convenient. Yes it's cheaper, but that isn't everyone's goal. Otherwise we'd be running on air pumps and undergravels. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Seems like the wrong time to release a high premium priced filter in this economy. But it is funny seeing a bunch of different boards, all eager to see the first person to admit to buying a Fluval G.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Seems like the wrong time to release a high premium priced filter in this economy. But it is funny seeing a bunch of different boards, all eager to see the first person to admit to buying a Fluval G.
It's because, secretly, everyone wants a Mercedes Benz, regardless of what they are saying...and this principle also applies here. If money were no object, we'd just be comparing features, and what gadget geek doesn't want more features? :wink:

·
Registered
397 Posts
oh man, I saw this being featured at a LFS and I was in line to pay for my stuff and I heard the guy asking everyone if they knew what the Fluval G was. everytime he asked he'd take them over to the back to show them while we waited in line, he only had 1 register. when it was my turn he asked and i said sure why not. He showed it to me and asked if i wanted to see a dvd on the fluval g lol. I didn't have the time but he sure knows how to hype it up haha. it is rather pricey tho...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Until this thing is proven that it works and is reliable, then it doesn't matter how nice it looks or how much frills it has. That is the reason for statements like "I could get 3 eheim classics for that price!", the Eheim Classics are proven. I agree with NJAB that they should give us free ones to test. :) Then if it proves to be a great filter, we have a $500 filter(G6) that can maybe handle a 50g...but looking great doing it! Hehe

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Until this thing is proven that it works and is reliable, then it doesn't matter how nice it looks or how much frills it has. That is the reason for statements like "I could get 3 eheim classics for that price!", the Eheim Classics are proven. I agree with NJAB that they should give us free ones to test. :) Then if it proves to be a great filter, we have a $500 filter(G6) that can maybe handle a 50g...but looking great doing it! Hehe
I am sure that they would sell you one to test and allow you to return it if you don't like it if you say you are doing it for a fish club. :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It's not like we're talking about a newcomer to the hobby, this is Fluval. I'm pretty sure their filter will "work." As for reliability, they're backing it with a 2 year warranty. (I think most other are 1 year?)

Biowheels work and are reliable, you could get 15 of those instead. But again, you aren't getting the same thing that's being offered by the G series.

I'm not trying to be a fan boy or say that this is going to be the best thing ever. I just welcome the enhancements and innovation this thing is bringing to the market, at whatever price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts