The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, I'm looking for a great filter to replace the two noisy/messy Emperor 400 HOB filters I have on my 55 gallon planted aquarium. That, and since I am running pressurized CO2, I think I have way too much surface agitation, even when it's full. The FX6 has a lot of features that I like, and I don't mind spending the money on something I know won't crap out on me if I'm gone for the weekend.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
459 Posts
On a 55g, an fx6 would probably have enough flow to look like a hottub. I would look at maybe an API xp-m or l. Possibly a fluval 306 or 406. Fx6's move a lot of water, unless you are planning on running a bunch of inline accessories it's way to much filter. I run an FX5 on my 150g tank, and I still throttle it back some.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no way to control the flow output? I like how the fx6 purges the air in the system every 12 hours, I don't see the fluval 406 doing this, or is it really that important? I have not seen any reports about the fx6 leaking either.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You are talking about a filter designed for a flow rate of 500+ gallons per hour. That's a 10 time per hour turnover rate on a 55g. Think about this, You can empty a 55g in under 6 minutes, faster than your tap can fill it. You can turn down the flow with valves, but why waste all that capacity when you don't need it. It's also upwards of $350. By design most canister filters purge air constantly.
I would look at smaller alternatives. I would look for filters rated at 150-200 gph range. Fluval, Ehiem, Api all have good reputations. Sunsun is cheaper still, but I have heard hit and miss stories about them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.