The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fluval FX5 filter media idea needed for EI dosing?

by Richardblack5 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Fluval FX5 filter media ideas needed for EI dosing?

This week I purchased Fluval FX5. I put in my noodles from my old filter and new Fluval water polishing pad also. I am unsure what else to put into the filter trays. I dose EI so swap >50% weekly so I am thinking I do not need ammonia media? Anybody any ideas about what media I should use?

I kept my old canister (aquamanta) filer to push water though my UV and CO2 reactor. I have put my carbon into this.
My setup is
400Lt planted
100+ small fish & some shrimp
Dose EI dry salts
CO2
KH6
PH 6.9
28c

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
What you're dosing and how often you do your water changes has absolutely no effect on what filter media you should be using. Ammonia will still be present from fish waste, decaying matter, etc so you still need the bacteria regardless. More beneficial bacteria = healthier tank (granted, there are many different kinds that are beneficial to us). Use what the manual recommends or use what you prefer personally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you're dosing and how often you do your water changes has absolutely no effect on what filter media you should be using. Ammonia will still be present from fish waste, decaying matter, etc so you still need the bacteria regardless. More beneficial bacteria = healthier tank (granted, there are many different kinds that are beneficial to us). Use what the manual recommends or use what you prefer personally.
Cheers, but as there are Biomax, Carbon, Clearmax, Peat, Phosphate, Zeocarb, Nitrate and Opticarb media types the choice is not so easy. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
All you really need is biological filtration (porous media) and mechanical filtration (coarse or fine foam, etc). Ammonia/phosphate/etc. removers aren't really necessary. Peat is useful for softening water if you need to do it. Carbon can be useful during the startup phases for removing impurities that would cause issues early on before your filtration has established itself.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The FX5 should have come with the white foam. That and the noodles it came with are all I use for filtering. I add Purigen instead of charcoal but that's not media. Assuming you have lots of plants in your tank and the lights are on, you should be fine with the old media in there. The ammonia produced will be instantly used by the plants. I bet you don't even see ammonia with a test kit. Those polishing pads fill up with gunk so fast you'll be changing them once a week so I don't even bother. GL

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The FX5 should have come with the white foam. That and the noodles it came with are all I use for filtering. I add Purigen instead of charcoal but that's not media. Assuming you have lots of plants in your tank and the lights are on, you should be fine with the old media in there. The ammonia produced will be instantly used by the plants. I bet you don't even see ammonia with a test kit. Those polishing pads fill up with gunk so fast you'll be changing them once a week so I don't even bother. GL
Re the polishing pads, its said on the box to change weekly.. sounds like a lot of messing to me.

Re the test kit, my OCD was to test weekly but now I use the theory that if you look after the plants then the fish will look after themselves... its works for me so i dont test any more

Why have all the trays and not use any media?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I run two fluval Fx5's and have lava rock from lowes grilling center in one basket, bio-Max in another, and some brown bio-balls bought from a vendor at repticon. Also, I replaced the foam that came with the fluval with some cheap polyfil from Walmart craft department. The other fluval, I don't remember what I have in it.lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes it's a carbon substitute. It works well. Your need a fine filter bag for it because it's very fine granules. "The Bag" made by Seachem isn't cheap but recommended. It's very durable and can withstand the bleaching you need to do to recharge the resin. I have two bags to swap out the resin. I think I bought the 250 ml size bottle and split it between them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it's a carbon substitute. It works well. Your need a fine filter bag for it because it's very fine granules. "The Bag" made by Seachem isn't cheap but recommended. It's very durable and can withstand the bleaching you need to do to recharge the resin. I have two bags to swap out the resin. I think I bought the 250 ml size bottle and split it between them.
Brill.... I found a Seachem dealer in Nottingham and he has two 100ml in stock (with bags)... I'm going to get them in the morning.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased some Filter Floss and some Fluval Pre Filter Media.. I have found a shop in Nottingham selling Purigen and keep forgetting to go and pick it up...So my plan is to have Filter Floss i the bottom tray, my Noodles in the middle tray and Pre Filter Media in the top tray Is this right? . I think the Purigen can go in the middle tray also?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Purigen can go anywhere in the media baskets. I put mine in the top one. BTW you have the white reticulated foam the FX came with, right? That should be enough mechanical media to keep your water plenty clean. Remember that the finer your media, the more often you're going to be in there cleaning it...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Purigen can go anywhere in the media baskets. I put mine in the top one. BTW you have the white reticulated foam the FX came with, right? That should be enough mechanical media to keep your water plenty clean. Remember that the finer your media, the more often you're going to be in there cleaning it...
Yeah thanks... i just looked again at the FX5 as my flow seemed to have dropped.. the Water Polish Filter was rammed with stuff. I just took it out and chucked it in the bin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.