The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an FX4 on my 75 gallon planted tank. It is 4 or 5 months old and has not given me any problems. I want to get a collection of spare parts so I can fix anything that comes up. I will get the seal for the lid, O-rings for the hose connections and an impeller. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
I have had a FX4 for 6+ months (longer???) and the only real issue I have had is the impeller shaft is very brittle.
The lid O-Ring seems to be something that you might want a spare of due to unique size, but I have never had an issue with mine. I have learned that you don't need to over tighten the lid clamps at all. A little grease on the hose disconnect assemblies and I suspect those O-Rings will last a long time.
With regards to the motor - I read somewhere that you had to really tighten the screws that hold it on - this is not necessary. The O-Rings do a god job sealing things up - the screws really only hold the motor in place. When removing the motor for servicing, a little grease on the O-Ring helps. Don't rock the motor back and forth during removal (up and down?) as this will almost guarantee a broken impeller shaft.

Reactions: CroweRW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had a FX4 for 6+ months (longer???) and the only real issue I have had is the impeller shaft is very brittle.
The lid O-Ring seems to be something that you might want a spare of due to unique size, but I have never had an issue with mine. I have learned that you don't need to over tighten the lid clamps at all. A little grease on the hose disconnect assemblies and I suspect those O-Rings will last a long time.
With regards to the motor - I read somewhere that you had to really tighten the screws that hold it on - this is not necessary. The O-Rings do a god job sealing things up - the screws really only hold the motor in place. When removing the motor for servicing, a little grease on the O-Ring helps. Don't rock the motor back and forth during removal (up and down?) as this will almost guarantee a broken impeller shaft.
Thanks for the input. I'll pick up some silicone lubricant too.

By the way, I just received the 1" Tetra Pond tubing to replace what came with the filter.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll pick up some silicone lubricant too.

By the way, I just received the 1" Tetra Pond tubing to replace what came with the filter.
Good call on the Tetra pond tubing. Did you see any of my tank journal where I discussed using the Pond tubing with the FX4?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call on the Tetra pond tubing. Did you see any of my tank journal where I discussed using the Pond tubing with the FX4?
I did. When I installed my diy spray bar there was a persistent slow leak at the Fluval connecter. I found the section of your journal with the tubing upgrade. I will be installing a co2 reactor in the future and thought I better make the change over now.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Very nice. I will say that pond tubing is tough stuff - a hose clamp will not make if fit much tighter on a hose barb. My biggest single piece of advice is to use pipe dope where the hose connects to a hose barb. Once I did that, I have not had a single leak. Also, the 1" nylon hose barbs from the big box stores need to be shaved down a bit for the pond tubing to fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. I will say that pond tubing is tough stuff - a hose clamp will not make if fit much tighter on a hose barb. My biggest single piece of advice is to use pipe dope where the hose connects to a hose barb. Once I did that, I have not had a single leak. Also, the 1" nylon hose barbs from the big box stores need to be shaved down a bit for the pond tubing to fit.
I haven't picked up the 1" hose barb fittings yet but I've been thinking about how to mount them the in the drill press so I can shave them down.

Thanks again for all of the information you post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.