The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fluval fx4 - will it fit marineland 75 gallon stand?

I know the motor juts out that's why it's listed as 15.7" or so. But if turned sideways toward the corner would it fit?

The max interior space I have is
15" x 14.5" x 22" height

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,847 Posts
The round top of a FX4 is 14.5" without the 4 small handles. Height wise you have plenty of room.
Given your 14.5 number above, I would not expect the filter to fit in your cabinet as the relation of the handles to the motor cannot be adjusted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is somewhat disappointing as I was hoping to buy an fx4 for this same tank. I have room behind my stand to put it if needed, but would have liked it in one of the cabinet spaces. Looking at the numbers provided and the numbers for the fx4 dimensions, it doesn't look promising. If anyone has actually attempted to put one in this space, I also would appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is somewhat disappointing as I was hoping to buy an fx4 for this same tank. I have room behind my stand to put it if needed, but would have liked it in one of the cabinet spaces. Looking at the numbers provided and the numbers for the fx4 dimensions, it doesn't look promising. If anyone has actually attempted to put one in this space, I also would appreciate the feedback.
Someone on another forum had posted 3 years ago they got it to fit but turning it in an angle where the motor points into a corner.

Unfortunately I can't be sure if the new models dimensions are the same for both stand and fx4.

Didn't see it on display at lfs pretty sure no one would let me open the box and measure the dimensions at different angles lol

Local seller is offering me fx4 for $180 for 407 for $160. I'd rather have the fx4 if possible

Guessing this site has the wrong dimensions
Dimensions: 14.5” x 14.5” x 16.4”

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure which site has the correct dimensions which is why I was hoping for real life experience. A quick google search brought me to this review which has the dimensions at 15.6" x 15.6" x 17.7".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure which site has the correct dimensions which is why I was hoping for real life experience. A quick google search brought me to this review which has the dimensions at 15.6" x 15.6" x 17.7".

It just fit when you have the motor pointed into a corner. Have about 1/4" to spare
Stairs Fixture Tints and shades Window Automotive design

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great. Thanks for being the brave one and trying it out. Hopefully I will have mine soon. Here is my tank as it sits now. It is a work in progress, with a few different nerites, a school of neon tetras and a few otocinclus. Once I get the new filter I will plant heavier and definitely increase my fish load.
Water Plant Flowerpot Organism Vase

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,847 Posts
It just fit when you have the motor pointed into a corner. Have about 1/4" to spare
View attachment 1045756
Good post. I have the FX4 but it is in a custom cabinet under a 75g Marineland tank. From what I could measure this morning, the top ring is 14.5" but that dimension does not include the handles. I could not be certain that turning the filter would give enough cabinet space to allow for the handles.
Now the fun part - plumbing the disconnects :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm worried the flow will be too strong for plants and my shrimps later on. Anyone have experience with the fluval spray bar?

Or this one

What recommendation do you have for lights?

I have a t5ho 2 bulb. But I'm thinking of getting fluval 3.0 plants or finnex plants+ alc / crv

Or finnex stingray if I don't care about the 24/7

Do I need 2x fixtures or is 1 good enough for low/med light plants in the 75

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm worried the flow will be too strong for plants and my shrimps later on. Anyone have experience with the fluval spray bar?
No experience with the spray bar but on the return side of my FX6s I constrict the flow by turning the aquastop disconnect valve a few notches from fully open...been running this way for 6 years and no issues

1 - 12 of 12 Posts