The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First off, this community is truly amazing. After browsing some other sites I noted a lot of arguments back and forth. This community seems to be a lot more constructive with advice and comments.

I was lurking for a few days and finally decided to register and start asking some questions. I bought a Fluval Edge on Sale from Petsmart and am about two weeks into a fishless cycle. I am adding powdered Ammonia Bicarbonate that I snagged from a lab (I am doing a masters in Wastewater Treatment). If anyone has used this and has met with any pitfalls, please let me know.

My tank currently has the stock halogens (waiting on MR11 LED upgrades) with the 10 watt coralife CFL mod. I am not dosing any ferts or CO2 as I started the tank with ECO complete and was told by the seller that my plants should be alright for a month or so before I need to worry about ferts.

This weekend I purchased some small plants to put into my tank. I am not sure if I have picked some that will be incompatible with my set up, but hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction if I did.

I have purchased:
-E. Tenellus
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Riccia
-UG

Now I realize that I bought three carpeting plants and my question is whether or not my bottom will be out of control or if I can somehow restrict these plants to "zones". I am likely going to buy an Anubias or MicroSword shortly, to fill in some height in the back. Once the tank appears to have cycled completely, I will likely add a cory/Oto or two kuhli loaches, followed by a school of 6 CPD's and then finally a few hardy shrimp (RCS?). If things are looking good I may add a dario dario or a small killifish.

If anyone would be willing to provide some commentary regarding my plant selection (I am new to planted tanks, got sick of plastic!) I would be very appreciative. Also, I am debating rigging up a DIY CO2 system, but probably won't start until next month. If these is a "definitive CO2 how to, please feel free to provide the link :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I agree with mcqueenesq... riccia will eventually make a mess and you will need to fish out the bits often. also +1 for the low maintenance plants that dont need frequent trims. I have never had experience with UG. The other plants should do well as long as you plant within area of good lighting under neath the opening. I would say the good light area is about 2" bigger than the opening in either direction. Also because you have gotten carpeting plants it will make the tank appear bigger than it is which is a good thing.

Lets see some pics of your tank!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as I got it home and did some reading I realized the UG was doomed to fail. The Riccia was chosen as I wanted a moss to eventually grow on my DW once I am done soaking it. I'm guessing I should have gone with Java moss... I picked up a Crypt Wendtii for some height within the tank today.

I will add some pics of the tank tonight when I get home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.